What might had been

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: What might had been

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 am

I'm sure that and other limiting factors of the line all contributed. Without being rebuilt from the ground up, there is no way the Cloverleaf could EVER compete with the Wabash as a through route. I can't say for sure how much totally is that way, but several of the areas I have looked at have the light (by today's standards) early 1920's rail the Nickel Plate put in when they bought the line.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 am

Bob Durnell wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 am
I'm sure that and other limiting factors of the line all contributed. Without being rebuilt from the ground up, there is no way the Cloverleaf could EVER compete with the Wabash as a through route. The NKP made do, because that is what they had to work with. I can't say for sure how much totally is that way, but several of the areas I have looked at have the light (by today's standards) early 1920's rail the Nickel Plate put in when they bought the line.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri May 08, 2020 11:54 am

I don't ever recall seeing a bridge upgrade in progress on the former Wabash here in Fort Wayne. Perhaps that is a benefit of the grade separation projects done in the early 20th century?
I know bridgework was done elsewhere (during my lifetime, that is) on the HD, but in the spirit of "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" perhaps the upgrades put in during the separation projects here helped assure the line's continued viability?

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri May 08, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm sure it didn't hurt, nor did the good connections the Wabash had in town with the Pennsy and the NKP. The fact that for the most part, the Wabash was straight and fast, served a lot of good sized towns and was ideally suited to automotive traffic, (particularly Ford) gave it a leg up. In many ways, it was everything the Cloverleaf was not. The Cloverleaf was constrained more than I think most people realize by it's narrow gauge origins. Also consider that as a separate entity, it had only a couple of brief spurts of prosperity, and even eventual parent NKP was truly prosperous only from about 1920-1930, and 1945-1957.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:55 pm
I'm sure it didn't hurt, nor did the good connections the Wabash had in town with the Pennsy and the NKP. The fact that for the most part, the Wabash was straight and fast, served a lot of good sized towns and was ideally suited to automotive traffic, (particularly Ford) gave it a leg up. In many ways, it was everything the Cloverleaf was not. The Cloverleaf was constrained more than I think most people realize by it's narrow gauge origins. Also consider that as a separate entity, it had only a couple of brief spurts of prosperity, and even eventual parent NKP was truly prosperous only from about 1920-1930, and 1945-1957.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat May 09, 2020 2:21 pm

When the Nickel Plate first acquired the Cloverleaf, they ran a substantial amount of traffic via Continental, trains going to Continental and then down to Delphos and on west. In about 1933, the routing was changed via Arcadia, OH, and down to Lima, after the LE&W was upgraded, and the Bellevue-Delphos-Frankfort route declined in favor of the Bellevue-Lima-Frankfort routing. After that, the Cloverleaf east of Frankfort to Toledo became much more of a secondary route, a couple of trains each way a day and locals, plus a passenger train until sometime around 1941.

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:43 am

I believe this to be a w/b at Cloverdale OH
Attachments
96735668_10221126378324059_7993045274429751296_o.jpg