Fort Wayne Towers

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Fort Wayne Towers

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:03 pm

When and what was the last tower to operate in the Ft Wayne Area, also does anyone know the number of towers in the Ft Wayne area when Towers Ruled !

Mike

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:48 pm

NKP: NE, Runnion. (both single story, Runnion was like a shed wasn't it?
PRR: Adams, Mike, Junction
Wabash: Hugo
Did I miss any? I "think" Mike would have been the last active one. Late 80's?
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:01 pm

BOB, YES, RUNNION WAS ABOUT 10 TO 12 FEET WIDE AND ABOUT 20 FEET LONG. IT HAD A CABOOSE TYPE STOVE THAT SAT IN THE MIDDLE BEHIND THE OPERATORS CHAIR, DID A GOOD JOB. THE SIGNAL BOARD SAT ALONG THE EAST WALL. LOOKED VERY MUCH LIKE THE CTC BOARDS. THERE WERE NO WINDOWS TO SEE WEST, BUT GOOD VIEW TO THE EAST. DESK FACED NORTH.
2 OR 3 SHEDS TO THE WEST WERE FOR MOTOR CARS AND OTHER TOOLS.
ADAMS WAS CLOSED THE LAST I WORKED IN '88, BUT DON'T KNOW WHETHER MIKE OR JCT WAS LAST TO GO.
KEITH

IronDuke
Regular

Post by IronDuke » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 pm

You all might be interested to know that the Runnion Ave tower originally sat out at Hadley. It was a block station out there at the end of the doulbe track. It was moved to Runnion Ave when the CTC was installed in either 46 or 47. I took a series of night shots there in early 70's on the last night it was open, The operator was a customer of mine named John.
It wasn't John Marty but his last name escapes me right now. You know ,old age all that comes with it!! Both Johns were later dispatchers out at East Wayne. Richard Yager
In the begiining there was the Nickel Plate!

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Ok , IronDuke I suppose seeing some of these pictures that you speak of is out of the question ? .
Speaking of John Marty, he was the operator at South Milford IN cause he pissed someone off... NOT JOHN !
I just quessed I was borned about 20-30 years too late to see some of the neatest things of RR's towers, semaphores lited switch stands steam, and F-units roof to hand brakes.
This is a industry that has evolved rapidly and still changing..

Mike

IronDuke
Regular

Post by IronDuke » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:29 pm

Just as soon as I get a good slide scanner I'll share some of my stuff with you guys. I shot mostly slides from 1964 until I got totally bored with modern railroading. Shot a lot of negatives with a Pentax 6x7 in the 70's and 80's. I'm on the verge of a nice digital this year. Will use it mostly for product photos and layout photography. The last "fan" shots I took were last July of the double header of 4449 and the 700 up the Columbia River gorge. I recreated a pair of shots I took 30 years ago on the 4449 test runs in May of 1975. I took my 14 year old son out and let him shoot with an old Nikormat. It was his first picture taking event. We had a great time. The Iron Duke :)

IronDuke
Regular

Post by IronDuke » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:39 pm

The Runnion Ave operator's name was Johnny Walsh. I understand his diabetes finally got him a disability pension. I got my Info on Hadley from an OLD Timer named Charlie Day. Both him and his brother were long time operators on Chicago Div. He worked his last days on First trick at Runnion Ave in the late 60's. His brother worked at Sidney for something like 30 years. I used to go down and talk to Charlie in 68 and 69. The Duke

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Richard, WAS ROY DAY RELATED TO CHARLIE DAY. ROY WAS AN AGENT/OPERATOR WHEN I WORKED ON THE NKP. I KNEW ROY WELL, BUT ONLY KNOW OF CHARLIE. ROY WORKED "SY" AT SOUTH WHITLEY WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. ROY WAS AN EXCELLENT TELEGRAPHER AS WELL AS HAM MORRIS AND MERLE NEWBY.

KEITH HARRIS

IronDuke
Regular

Post by IronDuke » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 pm

keith
I'm pretty sure they were brothers. Charlie told me his name but that was 37 years ago. Did you know my dad, R.P.Yager Sr. He was a Chicago div brakeman/conductor. He retired in 1980. hired out in '47.
Richard

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:37 am

Richard, I NEVER MET VERY MANY TRAIN CREWS ON THE NKP. I ONLY WORKED THERE FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND ONLY AS AN OPERATOR AT CLAYPOOL, SOUTH WHITLEY, AND RUNNION. I ALSO RESEMBLE THE REMARK OF HOW MANY YEARS AGO. SOME OF THESE POSTS RING SOME BELLS AND JOG THE MEMORY, WHICH HELPS. ALSO, THE CLOSEST I GOT TO DAYLIGHT WORK WAS SECOND TRICK RUNNION, THE REST WAS ALL NIGHTS.
KEITH

MR77100
Regular

Post by MR77100 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:07 pm

When was Warsaw tower retired and razed? I believe it was still in operation at the time of tape 20B from Railroad Video Productions.