Lima Built NKP 177

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Post Reply
User avatar
Notch 8
Veteran
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Lima Built NKP 177

Post by Notch 8 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm

The New York, Chicago & St. Louis (Nickel Plate Road) took delivery of four Hudsons from the American Locomotive Company in 1927, just one month after the New York Central received number 5200. It designated them Class L-1a and gave them road numbers 170 through 173. In 1929. the NKP obtained four more Hudsons (designated Class L-1b with road numbers 174 through 177), this time from the Lima Locomotive Works.
These eight locomotives were the pride of the NKP's passenger service and saw 16 years of handling main line passenger trains between Buffalo, NY and Chicago, IL until displaced by diesels in the 1950s.

There is one surviving locomotive, number 170, on display at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Mo.
Attachments
MDS00029.jpg
Nickle Plate Road L-1 4-6-4 # 177 West Wayne Enginehouse Fort Wayne Indiana 1939 Photo by Phil Buchert
MDS00030.jpg
Photo from the Jay Willams Collection #177 armed with smoke deflectors.

User avatar
Notch 8
Veteran
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Re: Lima Built NKP 177

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm

NKP 177 4-6-4 L-1b, Lima 1929 West Wayne Yard Fort Wayne IN 3-40 P. Buchert Steve Bartley Collection
Attachments
27356109_10213294769156650_3298894225861562554_o (2).jpg

User avatar
rrnut282
Veteran
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:43 am
Location: M.P. CF161.8 NS's New Castle District

Re: Lima Built NKP 177

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

I take it the smoke deflectors weren't successful and were removed.
rrnut282
(Mike)

hibbard
Veteran
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Lima Built NKP 177

Post by hibbard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm

When the 170s were drifting at high speed or slowing for a station stop smoke would lay back around the boiler blocking the view of both enginemen. In 1945 the 177 received the small smoke deflectors shown in the picture, they were unsuccessful. The deflectors were extended forward of the smoke box and down about a foot, also unsuccessful. In 1946 the traditional elephant ears were installed on all eight 170s and were used until the end.

hibbard

Post Reply