Any Interest for an NS Chicago Line audio feed?

Scanners, HAM's, ATCS, Streaming Audio, Mobile Rigs, and anything else tech.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

Any Interest for an NS Chicago Line audio feed?

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 pm

I've been toying around with the idea of putting an audio stream online from here at my house in Bryan, OH for the NS Chicago Line. I first wanted to see what the interest would be from the community to see if it's worth the effort to do so. I have a 40ft tower and an 18 foot tall fiberglass antenna to put on top of that for reception. I havn't put the antenna up yet so I'm not sure what I'd get for reception but I'm sure it would at least be CP360 Butler to the west and CP327 Archbold to the east. From my experience of listing around here with my mobile rig, I can usually hear action on the Wabash line from Montpelier to St Joe too if that interests anybody.

I have all the equipment to do this so it's not an issue of finances to make it happen, I just want to see if it's worth saturating the community with yet another audio stream, especially since it's not centered around a busy junction.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

JW
Veteran

Re: Any Interest for an NS Chicago Line audio feed?

Post by JW » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:31 am

Go for it.You never know what really good stuff may come up.

JW

hobo 150
Veteran
Location: MP 287.5 on the old PRR Line, now the CF&E in Van Wert Ohio

Post by hobo 150 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 am

Give it a go! I'm sure there are fans who would be interested.

jett37
Veteran

Post by jett37 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 am

Hey, I'll come and watch you shimmy up the 40ft. and give you encouraging advice. jett :D

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 am

I'll bring my barbeque fork and help you up :twisted:
rrnut282
(Mike)

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 pm

You guys are too kind, you know it? :)

Mike/Bob, you guys ARE'NT allowed to hang out together, especially at my house.

Hobo-I still have those 20ft mono poles that you were asking about, I need to get those back to you one of these days. I think I never got back with you about updating your ATCS either.

Well I had a few people over on railroadfan.com say that they'd listen in to a new feed, so I'll probably go ahead and make it happen one of these days. I'll keep you updated as it happens.

I'll probably also put up an ATCS feed as well since I have all the stuff to make that happen too. It doesn't pick much up, but might as well start somewhere.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:41 pm

What about the ATCS for Fort Wayne?

Now that Muncie is online and the south end should be, its had several of us talking about the north end of the new castle district again, and anything Ft.Wayne area.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

W_E_SMITH
Regular

Post by W_E_SMITH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Yes, please. I can hear some of it now from my home in Warsaw. I can hear the dispatcher talking to trains at around MP390 and west to about Elkhart.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

CIOR wrote:What about the ATCS for Fort Wayne?

Now that Muncie is online and the south end should be, its had several of us talking about the north end of the new castle district again, and anything Ft.Wayne area.

Well after having to remove my equipment from the former host site in downtown, I was never able to find any good leads for another home for the gear. Most of the offerings were on the northside of Ft Wayne in single story apartments. I used to live about 1/2 mile from downtown and I could barely pickup anything outside of 1 mile from home, thats why I moved it to a 14 story building. Unfortunately at the end of last year I had to return the commercial radio's to their owner, so I don't even have good radio's to put somewhere anymore.

If anyone knows of a good site around the area, let me know and I can try to find some equipment to use again. I just didn't want to invest the equipment in an installation that only brought in 1/4 of the Ft Wayne area mcp's that I used to receive.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

conrailman75
Veteran

Post by conrailman75 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Just wanted to say go for it on the Chicago Line feed, I'd be interested in listening to it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that I've got my stream setup on a test port at Railroadradio.net. You can listen in at railaudio2.railroadradio.net:2000 . Let me know what you think! Current coverage is roughly CP-320 to CP-355.

I also have an ATCS stream going as well. 65.25.154.112:4801 . Coverage on that is only CP 340 & CP 342.

-Greg
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

GEFan

Post by GEFan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Greg, I listened for quite awile last night to the new feed. Works out great for me
as my range east on the Chicago Line ends about where your reception starts.

Feed sounded pretty good tho you may have abit of an intermod? problem at times.
Come summer, that big antenna ought to pull in some decent skip also.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 am

GEFan-

Thanks for listening, I'm glad you like it. Yes, there is some intermodulation issues, mainly when the city cops are broadcasting on my end of town. I'm thinking about putting my mobile ham radio from my truck in place of the scanner to see if that helps the issue, otherwise I'll look into some traps possibly.

BTW: Yesterday I decided to stop feeing through the test port on Railroadradio.net and just host solely from my house. I recently had my internet provider increase my bandwidth so hopefully it won't have to buffer. The new address for AUDIO is ns-chicagoline.dyndns.org:8000

The new address for ATCS data is ns-chicagoline.dyndns.org:4801
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

nsglc1985
Regular

Post by nsglc1985 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:09 am

Ill be heading down there next month anyone going up their or down their soon? :D

joe22a994
Veteran

Post by joe22a994 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 am

Greg, none of those addresses work.