NS New Castle and Frankfort District update, CP-ALEX / ALEX

Scanners, HAM's, ATCS, Streaming Audio, Mobile Rigs, and anything else tech.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

alcochaser
Regular

NS New Castle and Frankfort District update, CP-ALEX / ALEX

Post by alcochaser » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:57 pm

I have done the decoding at Alexandria and updated my files.

75502260010202 Alex OR CP-Alex (Address used to be one of the Royerton IN addresses)

Alex is the name on the Frankfort District. CP-Alex is the name on the Marion Branch. I used Alex for the MCP name in Atcsmon.

Of note this is the first 12 element yagi I have ever seen in the field. (I sat there and counted them). It's pointed towards the Muncie BCP at 16 miles away on a pole high enough to be a BCP. This has to be the one longest ATCS data link I have seen personally. It's a pain to monitor.

NS had a new signal mast on a trailer at Muncie IN that had 3 signal heads, top head had 3 bulbs, middle had two, and bottom had one. So some poor NKP signal is getting replaced.

Files are here, couple bugfixes too.
http://inrd.gotdns.com/atcs/

Greg46m
Site Admin

Re: NS New Castle and Frankfort District update, CP-ALEX / ALEX

Post by Greg46m » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:32 am

That is odd to see a large yagi on NS. Does NS typically use omni's on most of the system like they do around here? The only other one I can think of is one that I believe you said exists at Lagro, right?

Is it possible that NS is planning on installing a BCP at Alex in the future you think? Maybe they just put the MCP antenna up there for now until they can install the BCP equipment at a later date.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

alcochaser
Regular

Re: NS New Castle and Frankfort District update, CP-ALEX / ALEX

Post by alcochaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 am

Standard NS equipment is a 3DB Omni.

One end of Lagro has a tiny 3 element yagi. Still has somewhat decent signal to the sides and back. And I was never sure why it had it.

Alex is on that big Yagi and tall mast to save the money of installing a BCP. Since it's the only MCP for many miles around. Someone on the NS showed some ingenuity and convinced management that they could order "non standard NS" RF equipment and save the railroad some money by blasting a signal to Muncie.