Dekalb Towers

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Dekalb Towers

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:05 am

How many towers exsisted in Dekalb County IN ?

MSnow

CSX_CO

Re: Dekalb Towers

Post by CSX_CO » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 am

This is going from Memory, and since I'm not exactly sure where the DeKalb County Boundries are in relation to some of the other interlockings, here goes:

Auburn Jct
Butler
HK (St. Joe)
Concord (I'd have to double check my notes, but I believe there was a tower here that controlled a crossover on the B&O, later it was controlled by HK IIRC)
Waterloo

Practice Safe CSX

wooden spoon

Post by wooden spoon » Wed May 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Does anyone know when the HK tower was closed? I live within earshot of the diamond and as i type a eastbound CSX is going by the house with the tailend pounding the diamonds. :D

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:13 am

Towers in DeKalb County:

Auburn Jct. (UN), crossing of B&O, FtW&J (operated by NYC), Vandalia, and interurban.

Butler (WB), crossing of NYC and Wabash.

Cedar (2 miles south of Garrett), crossing of Vandalia and interurban.

Concord/St. Joe (HK), crossing of B&O and Wabash.

Waterloo (WX), crossing of FtW&J and NYC.

According to Wabash RR annual reports, HK was built in 1902 when the Wabash completed the Butler-New Haven line. I don't know when it was taken out of service.

Cedar Tower burned May 11, 1929. The tower was not replaced, but I don't know whether the PRR took out the interlocking at that time or operated it remotely.

Does anyone have records of dates when the others were taken out of service?

Craig Berndt
Craig Berndt

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:51 pm

How many of these do you hav pictures of ? FWIW Dudes Dairy Treat in Kendallville IN
has several pictures of the RR history of the Kendallville area, was really busy once upon a time !

Mike