Track Diagrams

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Track Diagrams

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Where would a person have to go or would a person find track diagrams.

Looking for Kendallville IN the whole town, GR&I LS&MS and the interurban,

Waterloo, Fort Wayne & Jackson , LS&MS as well as the interurban,

Angola Fort Wayne & Jackson, St Joeseph Valley and there was something
else there. I have no name, did the Ft Wayne & Jackson and the St Joeseph
Valley interchange cars ?

Track diagrams for Pleasant Lake and the quarries in what is now the Boy
Scouts of America's Camp,

And Sturgis MI, this town must have been happening with the tracks that
were there if Im correct there were 3 railroads or 2 with the branch down
through Shipshewana.

I suppose while Im wishing upon the Stars ! how about Coldwater, Jonesville
and Hillsdale as well.

And Wolcottville was there an interchange as well ? also there was a pit on the
east side of town and I have heard there was tracks that went there as well,
I have been told that when the Montpelier Depot was shut down that alot
of the paperwork was disposed of there as well, at the pit.

Has anyone ever seen pictures of the roundhouse that exsisted in Ashley IN ?
this was in exsistance till 1907 +/- the division point was there until being
relocated to Montpelier when the line to New Haven was put in.

The Delta district and the Gary district 2 different lines or were the ever continious ?

Was the line north of Montpelier ever double tracked ? sure needs to be from Butler to Detroit.

I know I threw alot out there, but lets see what comes back !

Mike

Sure wish I had spell check :D

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Re: Track Diagrams

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:06 pm

NOTCH 8, CAN'T HELP YOU MUCH. I WORKED 3RD TRICK STURGIS FOR 2 WEEKS IN THE FALL OF 1954. AT THAT TIME THE BRANCH TO SHIPSHEWANA WAS LONG GONE. IN THE 2 WEEKS I SAW MAYBE 5 TRAINS ON THE GR&I AND NOTHING ON THE NYC. SURE WAS A GOOD PLACE TO GET YOUR REST. THERE WERE CABOOSE CUSHIONS IN THE TOWER AS THIS WAS WHERE THE INDIANA THIRD BRAKEMAN DROPPED OFF, THEY CAME IN HANDY. NONE OF THE TRAINS I RAN WERE LARGE ENOUGH TO HAVE A THIRD BRAKEMAN.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm

There's not much detail but here is a start.
http://pc.smellycat.com/maps/ttmaps/map_todv.gif

Also there are track diagrams for Angola and Elkhart up for bid on E-bay. Happy bidding.

Since I'm here, I can tell what I've found so far in Sturgis. The branch from Shipshewana came in from the SW and joined or paralleled the GR&I about 3/4 of a mile South of the diamond between the GR&I and the LSMS (old road). The R/W is wide here and old photos at the museum show a small yard south of the diamond. There are still connecting tracks in the NE and SE quadrants. East of the diamond about 100 yards is a small 3 track yard that can hold about 10 cars each. South, there are sidings at Sturgis Iron & Metal and the factory south of Bogen Road. It dies in the brush before the state line and the Toll Road removed their bridges over the GR&I. North is Abbott Labs, but they have tight security and you can't wander in. The GR&I starts angling NW beyond Abbott, and the tracks are gone before crossing Centerville Road. I haven't explored East past the small yard, but the main is used for car storage between Coldwater and Bronson. To the West of the diamond the old road has a siding to a paper warehouse. The Michigan Southern comes in from the West with a GP9 and goes all three directions and heads back West when they're done.
rrnut282
(Mike)

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am

Most but not all track charts for the nation’s railroads, created by the ICC valuation in 1916-1917, are available at the National Archives II in College Park, MD. The Archives’ policy is to print not more than 10 maps per day per customer. I often spend several days at a time there to get all I need for a particular railroad history project. In some cases the ICC also took photos of structures on lines, and those are in the various reports.

At Wolcottville there was an interchange track between the GR&I and the Wabash, and there was a gravel pit. At one time, there were three tracks crossing two tracks at the diamond.

The roundhouse at Ashley was opened in 1893 and abandoned in 1907, replacing the Wabash’s roundhouse in Butler on the Eel River RR. Some of the machinery at Butler was moved to Ashley and some to Montpelier. Ashley was a dumb place for a roundhouse given that all Wabash trains crossed paths at Montpelier, so the Wabash rectified the situation in 1907 by moving the last of the equipment to Montpelier. These location changes had profound effects on the towns. Butler lost 1/3 of its population in one week in 1893 when the workers, their families, the restaurants, stores, shops, etc., all moved to Ashley.

The Ashley roundhouse had about 13 stalls, maybe more. It was in the woods on the north side of Garfield St., between Indiana and Garrison Sts. If you walk about 50 ft. into the woods, you’ll come to a raised area of earth where the roundhouse stood. Lots of debris like bricks and clinkers. Thee were a bunch of classification tracks, too. There are photos around of the roundhouse.
Craig Berndt

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 pm

MIKE, THE YARD TRACKS EAST OF THE DIAMOND IS WHERE THE LITTLE RIVER RR RAN AROUND THEIR TRAIN WHEN THEY RAN OUT OF WHITE PIDGON .

KEITH

dakna

Post by dakna » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:36 am

Hey Notch,

Check out my stuff at http://www.dakna.com/railhome.htm

There are some layouts of tracks at:
Shipshewana
Sturgis MI
and Kendalville IN

Hope this helps!

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Track Diagrams Wabash 4th District Shops in Ashley IN,

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Here is a screen shot of a map from Steuben County and it shows the track arrangements about the facility when they were located in Ashley,
Attachments
Ashley IN 1910 Wabash Railroad Shops.jpg
Ashley IN 1910 Wabash Railroad Shops.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Ashley.jpg
Ashley.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 5366 times