Angola St. Joseph Valley Underpass

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Angola St. Joseph Valley Underpass

Post by cjberndt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:53 am

This was Christmas Day 1955, where the SJV RR underpassed N. Wayne St. in Angola. The shadows suggest we are looking north, and if so, the SJV passed under the Ft. Wayne & Jackson just to the right. If it is looking south, we would see the FW&J crossing the road just past the bridge. The Sanborn maps don't show this area.

The underpass was built by SJV in 1908 or 1909 (It was listed in the June 1909 annual report), even though the line from that point east to Columbia, Ohio, wasn't built until several years later.

I think it was sometime in the 1980s that INDOT repaved and rebuilt part of N. Wayne St. and re-discovered this bridge. I read about it in the local newspaper at the time, which included a photo of the bridge, but I didn't keep the paper. I don't recall if the bridge was removed or buried again.

Howard and I reconned the area in 2013 and found roadbed and other remnants that showed the location of the underpass, which is on the attached map.

Craig
Attachments
Angola StJV UPass Wayne lk N 12-25-55.jpg
Angola StJV under Wayne & FW&J.jpg