The New York, Chicago & St. Louis (Nickel Plate Road) took delivery of four Hudsons from the American Locomotive Company in 1927, just one month after the New York Central received number 5200. It designated them Class L-1a and gave them road numbers 170 through 173. In 1929. the NKP obtained four more Hudsons (designated Class L-1b with road numbers 174 through 177), this time from the Lima Locomotive Works.
These eight locomotives were the pride of the NKP's passenger service and saw 16 years of handling main line passenger trains between Buffalo, NY and Chicago, IL until displaced by diesels in the 1950s.
There is one surviving locomotive, number 170, on display at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Mo.
Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests