Ft. Wayne to Waterloo Interurban / NY Central Line

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Werdle36

Post by Werdle36 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:55 pm

:?: Much before my time, there was an interurban line that ran from Ft. Wayne, through Aubun, and to Waterloo. It used to pass directly behind our current house. The legal description refers to the Toledo & Chicago Interurban. I was interested in what time period this would have been in use. Any information would be appreciated.

:?: When I was a kid, we used to play along an abandoned railway line. I have always been curious about these old lines. I noticed the photo on the site (1956) of a train running on the NY Central line in Waterloo. the line is barely noticeable today. Anyone know when this line was created and then abandoned? There are still some signs of the railway line as you head north through DeKalb County. Are any signs still visible in Allen County?

D.L.

Calling Craig B.

Post by D.L. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:06 pm

T.&C. and the Jackson are Victor and Craig's territories. I suggest that you attend one of their presentations and get yourself educated about the lines that ran N/S through Dekalb.

Eric in St Joe
Regular

Post by Eric in St Joe » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:38 pm

Ok. Go north of Fort Wayne on SR 3 until you come to Cedar Canyons road. Turn right on Cedar canyons road and drive about a mile until you come to Kell road. Turn left on Kell road and drive north a ways until you come to a bridge. To the right is an old RR bridge that was used by the NYC/FW&J. If you drive north to the next road you will see a surviving interurban shelter that was left behind.

I think i read on here about a farm north of Huntertown on West road off of Simon road that has the old rights of way of the interurban and the old FW&J that run in the back of the farm. Reportadly there are a couple of small bridges over a stream in the woods behind the farm. Does anyone know who owns the farm and the land that the old interurban and the FW&J right of way are on?
KC9GUZ

Support ham radio.

Craig Berndt

Post by Craig Berndt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 pm

The Toledo & Chicago Interurban Railway was placed in service in four sections:

Garrett-Auburn, Jan. 1906
Garrett-Ft. Wayne, May 1906
Garrett-Kendallville, Sept. 1906
Auburn-Waterloo, Nov. 1907 (final track work at Waterloo was in Dec. 1908)

It was sold and reorganized as the Ft. Wayne & Northwestern in 1913, and sold to the Indiana Service Corp. in 1924.

All freight service in and north of Garrett, and all passenger service on the entire line, was abandoned in 1937. Freight service Garrett-Ft. Wayne was abandoned in 1945. It was the last interurban operating out of Ft. Wayne.

Two of the 1906 electric cars from this line were still operating in switching service in Ft. Wayne until 1952. They were the last interurban cars operating in northeast Indiana and among the last operating in the state.

Eric: There are several trestle remnants and I can’t tell which ones you are asking about. Contact me by email and I’ll try to help.

Werdle36: I may have some history on your property. Send me an email and tell me where you live if you’re interested.

I will be making my T&C presentation to the Garrett Historical Society on Apr. 20, 6:00 p.m., at the Railroad Inn on King St. It’s open to the public. You get to buy yourself dinner. I have lots of photos, maps and history.

The Ft. Wayne & Jackson RR was opened in 1870 as the Ft. Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw. It was reorganized in 1880 as the FtW&J.

Abandonments were:
Ft. Wayne- Auburn Jct., 1973
Waterloo-Pleasant Lake, 1973
Auburn Jct.-Waterloo, 1976

P. Lake-Hillsdale is now part of the Indiana Northeastern Ry. system.

Craig Berndt
Ft. Wayne

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:46 pm

A basic dumb question.

Last night my wife and I went up to Auburn and
ate at the Old Town. For good reason, we didn't
see any trains on the Eel River line. We then went North
on old state highway 427 to Waterloo, then East to Butler.

I should know this, but, does the sidewalk from Auburn to
Waterloo follow a abandoned rail line? If so which?

Thanks

Mark D.

Werdle

Auburn to Waterloo sidewalk

Post by Werdle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:00 pm

That's not dumb. The sidewalk does not run along an old railway line -- other than there was an interurban line between Auburn and Waterloo. I assume it was located on the same roadway where 427 is now.

Craig Berndt

Auburn - Waterloo Sidewalk

Post by Craig Berndt » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Mark:

The Toledo & Chicago interurban ran from Auburn to Waterloo parallel to CR427. As you go north from Auburn, the interurban track was about where the sidewalk is located on the east side of the highway.

At DeKalb Central High School CR427 has an S-curve. It was a much sharper curve in 1907, and the track crossed the road at the curve, then ran along the west side of the highway up to Waterloo.

At Cedar St. on the south side of Waterloo the track turned and ran north. It ran north into town along West St. Just north of Maple St. the track curved east and ended with a turn-around T-track in Pine St. The depot was on the west side of Pine St. where the wood products factory is now located.

CR427 was relocated slightly after that section of the interurban was abandoned in 1937. North of the high school the highway is on the former railbed. South of the high school it is not.

The track from Auburn to Waterloo was the last section that the T&C built. It was completed in Nov. 1907, about 22 months after the Auburn-Garrett section was placed in service. For those 22 months the track in Auburn ended in Cedar St. with a turn-around Y-track in Harrison St.

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:25 pm

Thanks , Craig!!

Mark

Eric in St Joe
Regular

Post by Eric in St Joe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:39 am

I know were the old roadside park was just to the east of the high school the old highway ran through there along side the fence. You can clearly tell there was an old highway that ran through were the old park was. In fact there are some old lampposts next to the former highway. Craig, did the interurban run through were the park was located?
KC9GUZ

Support ham radio.

Craig Berndt

Post by Craig Berndt » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Eric:

Sorry for the delay. I don't know but I doubt that the T&C ran through that little park. The highway was running northwesterly at that point and the track was on the west side of the road. I have a photo of the area c.1915 and there was a field there.

Was the road that remains in that park an access drive?

You'll notice an S-curve in CR427 just south of the park. North of the S-curve the road is now on the former railbed.

matt
Veteran

Post by matt » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:54 pm

about how many traind did the fw&j see a day during it's peak years?

Notch 8
Veteran

Ft Wayne & Jackson

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:38 pm

I would almost bet that if you could compare the gross tonnage to years past you might find that it is in its peak !

Mike

m.p. 129 4th District "Follow the Wabash"

Eric in St Joe
Regular

Post by Eric in St Joe » Wed May 10, 2006 9:22 pm

The FW&J never was a really profitable line IMHO. The line had practically no online buisness between Jackson and Fort wayne and the only real online busines was in Auburn.
KC9GUZ

Support ham radio.

nathansixchime
Veteran

Post by nathansixchime » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 pm

CR427 was relocated slightly after that section of the interurban was abandoned in 1937. North of the high school the highway is on the former railbed. South of the high school it is not.
The road off of Lima...er, highway 3 is a good little jaunt to explore.

What I find most interesting is that part of the old railbed has sunk into the ground in Waterloo. If you walk directly north of the foundation of the NYC station at the Waterloo Amtrak stop, you'll notice a line of ties just barely visible under the grass.

Oh, what once was...

Kelly Lynch
Kelly Lynch
Vice President
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
http://www.fortwaynerailroad.org