Curious NKP observation.

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Curious NKP observation.

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am

Last week, I took delivery of what is at least my sixth book about the Nickel Plate, this one the NKP diesels book. After reading it cover to cover and studying the hundreds of great photos in it, I realized something I have noticed in the other NKP books, a scarcity of photos taken in the Fort Wayne area or surrounding towns. None of the books have very many, but the diesel book has only ONE, and it was taken at East Wayne near the coaling tower, not an action shot in town. I'm just curious whether those that were well known NKP photographers didn't spend much time around these parts, or if it's just the luck of the draw. I know there ARE some good Nickel Plate photos out there from the area, I've even bought a few, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to show up in books. :cry: Any thoughts?
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Curious NKP observation.

Post by Notch 8 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 pm

For as much rail activity/history that took place in Fort Wayne i'm befuddled at the lack of record... I did purchase a deck of NKP playing cards today !

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon May 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Two thoughts:
I don't think that the NKP elevation downtown is as "user friendly" for photographers as the PRR and Wabby tracks are. So a photographer from out of town likely doesn't know about what few prime vistas there are for the NKP downtown. Obviously standing on the old Wells street bridge offers possibility, as does the Columbia street bridge (or balconies at 3 rivers apartments)....but the really big names in photography may never have thought about those locations?

Looking through the PRR rail books, there are a good number of local pix....even the venerable T-1.....so perhaps when the pros historically have come to town they have specific plans to hit the PRR.

I mean you can even run searches in the ACPL historic photos catalog, and most of what you'll find that is RR related, seems to be primarily PRR/Wabby....and a lot of those photos were by local photographers (Ellsworth Crick, etc)...so I guess the PRR has historically been the straw that stirs the drink.....RR interest wise.

I seem to recall that there are some good color photos of Wabash Passenger action at the downtown station......1960s era....out there floating around. Can't say with 100% certainty, but I THINK they are in the book about the Wabash called "Follow the flag"...it's been nearly 10 years since I read that, so I might be mistaken about the book...not sure.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 pm

I've always been disappointed when reading a book on something local and seeing little local. That seems to be the norm with few exceptions. :roll:
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am

Sort of like those big train picture books people give me (because the sell cheap) where 75% of the pictures are from overseas. NOBODY has less interest of foreign railroading than I do.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!