Ft. Wayne FW&J 4th St. Yards 2018

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Ft. Wayne FW&J 4th St. Yards 2018

Post by cjberndt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 am

No surprise that an electromagnetic underground search found some anomalies in the former Ft. Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw's 4th St. yards in Ft. Wayne.

We did some dig-ups Thurs. and Fri. to see if there were any buried NYC 4-8-4 Niagara's. So far, just concrete, bricks and some scrap. Nothing of archeological interest other than three decomposing turntable pits without turntables, and part of a freight car.

The pits are shown on the attached aerials and photos. The aerials are 80 years apart. Pit 3 is the oldest. It was on the east side of the original roundhouse. Pit 2 was on the east side of the later engine house. Apparently the building in the 1938 aerial was built over it or over part of it. Pit 1 was the big table for the 2-8-2 Mikados that I believe replaced pit 2. Victor will cover these in his book.

The last photo is part of a freight car near one of AEP's power poles. It is directly west across Clinton St. from Science Central. This is looking at the south side of the car body. Ladder rungs are on the right end. It is only 2 ft. wide and the north side is also the side of the car body with outside bracing. Note that the guy wire for the power pole goes through the top center. It completely encloses the anchor for the guy wire. Odd.

Craig
Attachments
Aerial Ft W FW&J 4th St TTable Pits 1938.jpg
Aerial Ft W FW&J 4th St TTable Pits 2018.jpg
Ft W FW&J 4th St 04-07-18 TTable Pits 1&2.jpg
Ft W FW&J 4th St 04-07-18 TTable Pit 3.jpg
Ft W FW&J 4th St 04-07-18 freight car.jpg

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Re: Ft. Wayne FW&J 4th St. Yards 2018

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Did you find any scrap in the nature of knuckles, drawbars, the lids that used to be over friction bearings. Someone I knew walked the LS&MS Old Road line in Ohio between Monroeville and Norwalk, OH, with a metal detector and found all sorts of things of that nature. I used to wonder what would have been found before it was paved over, while walking the Pufferbelly Trail, as I frequently used to do, between Dupont and Wallen Roads.

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: Ft. Wayne FW&J 4th St. Yards 2018

Post by cjberndt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 am

We didn't find any railroad artifacts other than the pieces of the railcar around the guy wire. We found a few automobile parts. They earned money recycling metal.

Craig