NE Junction c.1970

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

NE Junction c.1970

Post by cjberndt » Mon May 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Here are two views of NE Tower in its final version. The track behind the building is the south connecting track between NKP and Wabash.

In the view looking east on the NKP, just past the connecting track switch and the bridge, there appears to be another switch. It's blurry even in the high-resolution view, so maybe not. Did NKP have a double main through New Haven in the 1960s, or serve some business in New Haven?

Craig
Attachments
New Haven NE lk E on NKP c1970.jpg
New Haven NE lk SE c1970.jpg

hibbard
Veteran

Re: NE Junction c.1970

Post by hibbard » Mon May 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Craig,
A 1963 NKP track chart shows a storage track (formerly a passing track) on the side of the main with several stub tracks coming off of it. On the north side is a stub track called E.B.#1 which may have been a passing track also.
Bob

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Tue May 26, 2015 2:27 pm

:?: Craig, 5th ran alongside of it back in the day, IIRC.

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:04 am

When was NE Tower removed, This was it's final version. was there a different building at this location ? Any idea who took the photo's ?
Thanks for posting !

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun May 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Mike:

I don't know how many NE Towers preceded the brick building. From maps I've seen suggest there were several track realignments by NKP and Wabash. The attached aerial shows before and after the most recent changes, but it may not be correct, and other people should comment and correct it.

Wabash made two major track realignments c.1945, on both the Detroit and Toledo lines, to correct primarily the sharp curve on the Detroit line. Victor Baird has details on that, and others may have as well. The 1914 and 1924 Sanborn maps show NKP realignments. I don't know if those maps are accurate, but I suspect they are.

NE Tower(s) was roughly where I've shown it on the aerial. As the attached photo shows, looking west on Wabash, NE was wood, two story - a traditional control tower.

The NE Brick was located where shown on the aerial. It was obviated by CTC or whatever the railroads adopted to eliminate local control. I assume it was during N&W control or ownership of the two lines. Does anyone know?

Craig
Attachments
New Haven NE Locations labeled.jpg
New Haven, Ind., Track Alignments
New Haven NE tower Wabash lk W.jpg
New Haven, Ind., NE Tower looking west on Wabash RR, Pre-1914

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 pm

A follow-up on this.

Photo #1 is looking NE on Wabash's Detroit line at NE tower sometime before the 1944-45 track realignment in New Haven. Wabash's depot is at center, and its Toledo line is at right-center on the south side of the depot. Nickel Plate crosses the Wabash lines left-to-right.

Photo #2 is looking west on Nickel Plate, with the elevator and depot on Wabash at right. NE tower is behind the three stacked signals on NKP.

Photo #3 is looking west on Wabash with the relocated mainline running north of the depot after the 1944-45 realignment, which was done primarily to reduce the sharp curve in Wabash's Detroit mainline. NE moved ¼-mile west.

Craig
Attachments
New Haven NKP-Wabash lk NE pre1945 lr.jpg
New Haven NKP-Wabash lk W pre1945 lr.jpg
New Haven Wabash 1951 lr.jpg

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 am

Another derailment at NE yesterday.. makes a person wonder how many derailments have occurred at this site over the years ? Was NE the Wabash name or a NPK name ?

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 am

I don't know who named it NE. Nickel Plate was the 2nd railroad, so probably built it and named it.

Only NKP and Wabash's Toledo line were there when the crossing was interlocked in 1893 or 1894. I don't know if the tower was there before it was interlocked.

This photo is NKP 754 eastbound after Wabash had moved its Toledo main from the south to the north side of the State St. depot. It looks odd with the bay window on the wrong side of the depot.

NE moved .25-mile west in the 1944-45 track realignment. A 1944 agreement between the RRs called for NKP to build a new tower at the relocated NE, and it built the small brick building.

Craig
Attachments
New Haven 754 EB at Wabash depot.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 am

I've always been a little bit foggy on exactly what the 1945 re-alignment of the Wabash Toledo line around the back side of the station actually accomplished. Anybody have some thoughts on that? At the very least, it would have seemed the more simply option would have been trackage rights on the NKP for a quarter mile instead of building a new bridge and moving the alignment.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Look at the aerial in one of the posts above. Wabash's Detroit mainline had a sharp accident-prone curve at NE in 1902 that Wabash relieved by rerouting the line.

Moving Wabash's Toledo main to the north side of the depot and easing the Detroit curve made the Toledo and Detroit mains into one main east of the NKP crossing. It changed the crossing to one diamond.

Craig

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 pm

I completely get moving the Detroit main, but I don't see what was really gained by moving the Toledo main. Yes, they eliminated having to cross over the NKP at the station, but other than that it seems like a wash at best. Considering the traffic on the Toledo line, it doesn't seem worth the trouble.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!