Propellers on the C,F,&E

This is the one and only proper place for trip reports. Let us know what you saw, where you saw it and such.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Propellers on the C,F,&E

Postby Hotbox » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:58 pm

I know this is really late, but did anyone else see all those wind turbine blades last week moving east on the CFE? They were really huge, and one after another after another. I couldn't stop and count the entire train, but it looked like they were carrying a lot of them

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Propellers on the C,F,&E

Postby Notch 8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 am

The blades that were seen on the CF&E went to the Van Wert Terminal for offload and measure 186' 6" largest blade that I have seen yet.. Looks like they replaced rail within the Van Wert Terminal as well.

Hotbox
Veteran

Postby Hotbox » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. So then are you getting involved with erecting them?

Is that 186' 6" the length of each individual blade, or the diameter of the finished assembly?

Notch 8
Veteran

Postby Notch 8 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 am

186'6" is each blade not sure where tis batch is going to, They're erecting another windfarm over by Dunkirk OH but those blades have been coming in on 30 from east.. The size of these has increased substantially over the years. they use to haul 2 blades at a time there for awhile... I'm not much of a fan of the windmills as much of this was imported.. but it's just our tax dollars ! We are not involved erecting them but looked into a truck that could boom up and clean them..

Hotbox
Veteran

Postby Hotbox » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

That's remarkable. Those blades are longer than the Anthony Wayne building is tall.

cjberndt
Veteran

Postby cjberndt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 am

I was in one of the windmills near Bowling Green, Ohio. They appear to be about the size of the windmills at Van Wert. Blade speed is controlled by dynamic and manual brakes to turn not more than 16.5 RPM, at which they produce maximum electrical power. Those blades are 136 ft. long, and at 16.5 RPM the blade tip speed is 175 MPH.

The generator box at the top of tower is about the size of a school bus.

They initially thought that certain birds and bats would be victims of the fast-moving blades, but that didn't occur. Instead, they found that the pressure differential near the blade tips causes the hearts of some birds or bats to explode.

Craig

Return to “Trip Reports”