CB&C

Found a cool book or vintage video footage pertaining to the area? Let us know!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dbrackin7
Veteran

CB&C

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm

In the may 31st edition of The Echo had a cover story on Cincinnati, Bluffton and Chicago rr with a title of "The very brief history of Bluffton's ghost railroad". I have to say It gave me a laugh, storys of how the railroad stole land, and disrupted competition by rolling boxcars off the track.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: CB&C

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Don't forget shanghi-ing the night watchman to make a connection track. What a way to run a railroad :roll:
rrnut282
(Mike)

conrailman75
Veteran

Post by conrailman75 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:18 pm

For the uneducated, what's the Echo? I would be at least interested in reading about this short lived operation even if it is for kicks and giggles :lol:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Other than the Wabash River bridge collapse, the brazen building of their line adjacent to the Erie east of Huntington, and the running away of their locomotive that ended up in a basement in Huntington, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information on the CB&C. I've always wondered, for example, how and exactly where it crossed the Cloverleaf and the LE&W in Bluffton.

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 pm

A young persons point of view of the echo is this, the news banners (blufftons own newspaper) attempt to target the elderly, it takes the lesser stories and smaller stories that seem to be overlooked by the younger crowd (except me). And its free, you should be able to find it around Bluffton pretty easily... As for the CB&C I didnt know it existed until the article. The echo also had an article last year about the interurban service and the great wreck in kingsland.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am

Wayne Gest wrote:Other than the Wabash River bridge collapse, the brazen building of their line adjacent to the Erie east of Huntington, and the running away of their locomotive that ended up in a basement in Huntington, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information on the CB&C. I've always wondered, for example, how and exactly where it crossed the Cloverleaf and the LE&W in Bluffton.
Good question. Since CB&C didn't always follow the rules, they didn't leave a very good paper trail to trace. The Wells County Historical Society has about a dozen or so photos of CB&C equipment and bridges around Bluffton, but the landscape has changed so much in the last 100 years, I didn't recognize the locations. :oops:
Maybe if I spend an hour or two in the courthouse, going over deeds and plats, I can piece something together. I just need the time (during business hours) to do it.
rrnut282
(Mike)

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:21 pm

:wink: Hey guys, don't forget the concrete pylons in the Wabash R @ Markle for the quarry spur! :mrgreen:

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 am

There is this, which it seems like someone posted a link to before, in my hazy memory.

http://pennville.blogspot.com/2008/08/c ... lroad.html

And this:

http://pennville.blogspot.com/2008/08/c ... ad_01.html

After a little more poking around, I found this:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.schoch/132/mb.ashx

I couldn't get the last webpage to display while using Google Chrome and had to use Explorer.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm

I found out a little more about the CB&C path through Bluffton after my wife talked with the county surveyor. Still stuck working for a living.

As it leaves Murray, it sort of parallels SR116 until it crosses the new SR 124. It "crosses" at the East edge of the curve just West of where 124 splits from SR116. If you drive West on SR 116/124 and stop at the curve just West of the New Castle District, the line of trees to the Southwest is the CB&C R/W, not the Wabash River.

It turns to parallel NS's New Castle District and crosses the Wabash River about 940 feet downstream (West) from where the NCD crosses the Wabash. There might still be stone piers visible. I can't say for sure as this is all private property with no public access. It next crosses North Oak Extended near the middle of the long tangent and then along the back of the new parking lot that is across Oak from Almco Steel. If you drive further up Oak to where it is on the bank of the Wabash River, turn back East and the row of trees you see across the field is the CB&C.

The CB&C "crosses" Lancaster St just West of 721 Lancaster St. The East end of the BRC plant building encroaches on the CB&C as it turns Southward to line up with Indiana Street. If my information is correct it crossed the Cloverleaf main just before crossing Wabash St. As you drive West on Wabash after crossing over the NCD, it would be the 2nd track you see to the North. In fact, if the aerials are lined up correctly, the end of that siding may have been created by simply removing the CB&C diamond. It's hard to be sure as there are 4 different r/w corridors radiating from the Cloverleaf after it crossed the NCD. West of Oak Street there are 6 apparent lines crossing Wabash St in less than 2 blocks.

Now the county surveyor told my wife the CB&C crossed the E&W RR at Indiana and Poplar, but I don't see any parcels that can be connected to form a r/w. It just gets "lost" South of Washington St. There are some angled tracts that suggest the CB&C joined the Cloverleaf to run parallel the NCD again. Without doing abstracts on those parcels (researching all prior owners, which takes days) I can't be certain.

The county surveyor claims it ran straight South just West of Jersey St. I can agree with that as at Spring St, the old R/W "crosses" Spring on the East egde of the house at 802 W Spring and starts curving Southeast as it leaves Bluffton. It appears to cross the interurban near the Northwest corner of the Industrial Park on Harvest Rd. This is also near the far corner of the 4H property.

Where it crossed the NS New Castle District is a lot harder to pinpoint. But, where it "crosses" Spring St lines up with Indiana St that it followed previously. It wouldn't be a stretch to believe it followed Indiana St, or more likely, Indiana Street was built on the former RR R/W. In that case, it had to cross the NS NCD just South of South St. The area on the East side of the NCD is now owned by the city and is full of baseball and softball diamonds, so all former parcel information was deleted. It could have taken a variety of paths across the NCD as there is plenty of room to curve around in that large of an area. Maybe if they let me in the basement to look at older platbooks that have been "retired from public use", I can do a better job of locating this former RR.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 am

Yes, the bridge piers are very visible in winter from the New Castle District main and I would think they would be visible from the Oak Street extension in winter.

Very interesting, Bluffton is one of those locations that I wish I could see 100 years ago, with three railroads and an interurban.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:23 am

I didn't get to view it from the NCD, though I would if someone could arrange it. :D

Make that 3 steam railroads and 2 interurbans, though I'm not sure they all crossed.

The area around Helena Chemical must have been a maze of tracks. It looks like there was a connector from the Cloverleaf to the North on the CB&C and an s-curved connector to the South.
rrnut282
(Mike)

wayne b
Veteran

Post by wayne b » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:15 am

From 1912 Wells County plat map.
2011-08-19_154051.png
2011-08-19_154051.png (333.77 KiB) Viewed 5811 times
2011-08-19_154227.png
2011-08-19_154227.png (209.82 KiB) Viewed 5811 times
2011-08-19_154620.png
2011-08-19_154620.png (377.51 KiB) Viewed 5811 times
2011-08-19_154934.png
2011-08-19_154934.png (342.94 KiB) Viewed 5811 times

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
Wayne Gest wrote:Other than the Wabash River bridge collapse, the brazen building of their line adjacent to the Erie east of Huntington, and the running away of their locomotive that ended up in a basement in Huntington, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information on the CB&C. I've always wondered, for example, how and exactly where it crossed the Cloverleaf and the LE&W in Bluffton.
Good question. Since CB&C didn't always follow the rules, they didn't leave a very good paper trail to trace. The Wells County Historical Society has about a dozen or so photos of CB&C equipment and bridges around Bluffton, but the landscape has changed so much in the last 100 years, I didn't recognize the locations. :oops:
Maybe if I spend an hour or two in the courthouse, going over deeds and plats, I can piece something together. I just need the time (during business hours) to do it.
Here is photo's of the C.B.&C runaway 4-4-0 at Mayne Fruit and Confectionary S. Jefferson & Front Street Huntington Indiana December 12, 1912 I believe the runaway was believe to had been an intentional act but never proven. pictures from the Huntington County Historical Society
Attachments
MDS00032.jpg
MDS00033.jpg

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I couldn't find a Front Street in Huntington. Has the street been renamed?
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!