Time Machine

Found a cool book or vintage video footage pertaining to the area? Let us know!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Time Machine

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am

If a picture can be worth a thousand words, Than how much can a short video be worth ? It amazes me how much detail is in this old video.

Mike

Copy and Pasted:

Came accross an old film from 1906. The setting is San Francisco in 1906 just days before the big quake. I know this is not a film about Indiana, but it does contain footage of interurban cares in action. Hope all of you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162- ... 91709.html

Take Care
Jim Wolfe

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Time Machine

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 am

Very interesting: Some observations after viewing

They had multiple public transportation systems in use at the same time: horse drawn streetcars, cable cars, and electric trollies. Two of which are still in use today.

Multiple times you can witness teamsters driving down the flangeways of the cable cars or street car line to get a much smoother ride than the cobblestone streets.

Driving on the right side of the street was just a suggestion. No stop lights or street corner cops needed to keep traffc moving, either. The margin of safety was much smaller back then. What a bunch of chickens we've become.

Paying passengers boarding and disembarking moving cars. Not a lawyer in sight. Refreshing.

One wonders if this lifestyle returned after the quake and what changed.
rrnut282
(Mike)