Steam Railways on PBS39 Saturday, 9/11 & Tuesday 9/14

Found a cool book or vintage video footage pertaining to the area? Let us know!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

MarkRyanPBS39

Steam Railways on PBS39 Saturday, 9/11 & Tuesday 9/14

Post by MarkRyanPBS39 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Hey Fort Wayne Railfans,

I have a feeling that I have spoken with some of you from time to time if you've called the TV station, but I wanted to give you all a heads up that PBS39HD/channel 39-1 will be airing the program CELEBRATING NORTH AMERICA'S STEAM RAILWAYS soon; once on Saturday, September 11 from 3:00pm to 5;00pm, and again in prime time, Tuesday night, September 14 at 9:30pm. If you have watched the program GREAT SCENIC RAILWAY JOURNEYS, then you have an idea about the quality of this program: it's produced by the same folks. What I have seen so far is spectacular.

If you're wondering if this is part of our pledge drive, yes it is. To that end, one of the businesses that has kept shows like GSRJ and Tracks Ahead on the air here, Phil's Hobby Shop, has gotten behind this program by adding onto our normal pledge/donation gifts with a 10% off anything in the store (both Fort Wayne ones and the Defiance store) certificate if you make a pledge during this show, either by phone or online at www.wfwa.org. I think maybe a few of you have been to Phil's, so giving those folks an "attaboy" works out for everyone.

If you have been looking for something outside the doo-wop shows, self help gurus and performance specials we tend to run during pledge drives, then tune in and set your DVR or VCR. You're going to really love this show.

One thing I wanted to leave you with: Even though this may seem like kind of a crass plug for a specific show, if we didn't get such great (and enthusiastic) input from you and yours, railroading might not make it on to our airwaves. So let us know what you think of this show. If you have any ideas about how we can get funding to produce a local rail history documentary, or a current one, or hear of another public television program you might want to see, tell us about that, too. You can drop me a line or let the station in total know at info@wfwa.org or programming@wfwa.org.

Thanks for letting me hop a ride, such as it is and I hope you enjoy the program.

Mark Ryan
Creative Services Guy
WFWA PBS39, Fort Wayne

MarkRyanPBS39

Re: Steam Railways on PBS39 Saturday, 9/11 & Tuesday 9/14

Post by MarkRyanPBS39 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Now that it is Tuesday, you can see this program again in prime time at 9:30pm Tuesday night. If you happen to miss this program tonight, we'll be airing it again on our other channels on Saturday, September 18 at 3:00pm on 39-4you/channel 39-4 and later that day at 8:00pm on channel 39-3/PBS39CreateTV.

By way of an update: The viewer support and response to this show has been fantastic. Regardless of how much it does as a pledge program, for me anyway, it verifies that fact that you folks out there are supportive of what we're able to bring you in the way of railroad history, culture and more as we can get it to you.

We know about Tracks Ahead and Great Scenic Railway Journeys. If you would not mind me asking this favor of you all, if and when you hear of a show that might be in the works that could be offered to public television, drop us a line to let us know. Sometimes we hear about it, sometimes we may not. Reading your forums is telling me that you're really dialed in on all things rail, whereas we are all things public TV. You can send your comments via e-mail if you wish to info@wfwa.org and/or programming@wfwa.org, or call us weekdays at (260) 484-8839.

Thanks for letting me come on board your forums here, too.

scorpionskate
Regular

Post by scorpionskate » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Mark,

The BBC has shown many great rr programs over the years. Most focus on local (British) presevation railroads and operating railroads, others are just educational programming about railroading in general. Off the Tracks and Trainspotting were two shows about local railroads and they just recently did a 3 part show about the Indian Hill Railroads. All of these shows were great but I don't know how free the BBC is with allowing others to "borrow" their shows.

MarkRyanPBS39

Post by MarkRyanPBS39 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am

Hey there,

I am not sure if borrow is the right word; we might be able to get these (purchase the rights, in essence) from the BCC's American syndication company. Let me look into this from the BBC and some other places and I'll let you know what I find out.

Mark Ryan/PBS39