Wabash Railroad Historical Society Annual Meeting

Feel free to post any upcoming events for your local group/association here.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wabash2800
Veteran

Wabash Railroad Historical Society Annual Meeting

Postby wabash2800 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 am

Our annual meeting is September 8-10, 2017 at the Mad River and NKP Railroad Museum at 253 Southwest Street in Bellevue, Ohio. Member admission is 35 dollars and 40 dollars for nonmembers and guests. Registration deadline is August 31.

Go to http://www.wabashrhs.org/p/wrhs-news.html for a detailed itinerary, plus a registration form that must be mailed in with your remittance to guarantee registration and to choose your entrée meal for the banquet meal--in a real dining car! The admission fee also includes free admission to the museum. Some of Mad River's experienced dining car servers are going to serve the banquet meal in the correct attire and we'll have real table linens, silverware, glassware, etc. (Sorry, no railroad china.)

Again, more detail is in the itinerary but also included are some model railroad tours, social hour with refreshments, a small auction of donated railroadiana and model railroad items, presentations including a feature digital presentation on the Wabash 5th District (Fort Wayne, Indiana to Toledo, Ohio)and "Wabash Slides Until You Drop".

Admittedly, most the items in the museum are NKP related but there is a Wabash heavyweight baggage car, recently restored Wabash F7 No. 671 with the correct paint including the silver/white, plus a large Wabash 86' Hi-cube boxcar that was converted to an instruction car by N&W. Also, in the early 1900s, the Wabash did run 6 passenger trains through Bellevue during its venture of using the W&LE to access Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

There is also a viewing platform at the Junction down the tracks from the museum (75 to 100 NS trains in 24 hours plus a few Wheeling & Lake Erie trains) and the annual meeting information includes other Ohio railfan locations (with train counts and radio frequencies, with the help of Trainorders members).

I hope to see some of you there. I will be doing the 5th District Presentation.

If you need any additional information, I can answer your questions here or put you in touch with our contact person.

The Wabash Railroad Historical Society is handling the event, but if you want to learn more about the museum, go tohttp://www.madrivermuseum.org/

P.S. I'll bring a few of my Wabash Fourth District books and discount them from 39.95 to 30.00 for attendees. I don't have many left.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Hotbox
Veteran

Re: Wabash Railroad Historical Society Annual Meeting

Postby Hotbox » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Okay, I have a question, how's that book on the FW&J coming along? Anticipated release date?

wabash2800
Veteran

Re: Wabash Railroad Historical Society Annual Meeting

Postby wabash2800 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Hotbox wrote:Okay, I have a question, how's that book on the FW&J coming along? Anticipated release date?

Hobbox:
Thanks for asking. I'm still working on it. It's pretty much laid out with more work required in certain areas. The fact that I'm working two jobs and (voluntarily) sidetracked to help organize the Wabash Meet and do a presentation for them on the 5th District doesn't help. I won't give a projected publication date as that's a trap that many of us writers try to avoid. Taking longer does have its benefits as often potentially overlooked material surfaces. But, of course, eventually you have to draw the line. I did write and publish a successful book, so you know I can produce another. If you want to be one of the first to know, go to my website and send an email with that request on the message board and you'll be on the list.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Return to “Upcoming Events”