Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Today in Williams County history (May 11, 1936, 81 years ago): The Cincinnati Northern Railroad discontinued its passenger and mail service from Van Wert north to Michigan. The Cincinnati Northern Railroad stretched from Franklin, Ohio, to Jackson, Mich., and was completed through Williams County in 1887. By 1936, the Cincinnati Northern operated two passenger trains daily that stopped at Bryan, Pulaski, West Unity and Alvordton. In March 1936, the Bryan Democrat newspaper reported, “About 10 years ago this road changed from the usual type of passenger train to a diesel car, which has been operated since. Passengers have decreased and at the same time service has decreased so that it has been impossible to go from Jackson to Cincinnati in a day. There were many protests when the road attempted to drop these trains some time ago, and the commission did not grant permission then. The more recent effort has been successful. The road claimed that while its freight business is profitable, its passenger business is not, and contended that other transportation is readily available for passengers, and that the postal needs of communities may be served by other ways.” This circa 1910 vintage image from the Kevin Maynard collection shows a Cincinnati Northern train approaching the Alvordton depot.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest