Canal Route- New Haven to Fort Wayne.

The Wabash and Erie Canal was a shipping canal that linked the Great Lakes to the Ohio River via an artificial waterway. The canal provided traders with access from the Great Lakes all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.... Until the railroads arrived and Fort Wayne Indian was in the middle of it all !

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Canal Route- New Haven to Fort Wayne.

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Since I work in the area, I have always wondered EXACTLY where the canal ran from downtown New Haven, through East Wayne Yard, along Old Maumee Road and on into town. Are the RR tracks on the canal? on the towpath? Did the RR tracks wander away from the canal at any point in this area?
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Canal Route- New Haven to Fort Wayne.

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 am

I do not know much about the canal but I do know that Wabash & Erie Canal, Lock No. 2, was 8 miles east of Fort Wayne, adjacent to U.S. Route 24 so that tells me that the railroad did not follow the canal.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:07 pm

No, the NKP was only built on the canal route from somewhere just east of New Haven to the West Wayne Yard area. The canal follows the Wabash southwest of town, but that is a coincidence. At least part of the Interurban was built on the canal ROW in that area. My basic question was exactly how closely the NKP followed the canal in that small distance that it did.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 pm

The canal can be traced through New Haven from the US-24/I-469 junction along Canal and Main Streets north of the NKP. Building on the canal began in the vicinity of the east end of East Wayne Yard. From there, the RR appears to be on the canal--or tow path with the canal filled--all the way to the St. Marys River. The canal aqueduct foundations are just south of the NKP bridge-photo attached. The RR continued on the canal until somewhere near Runnion Ave. where the canal turned southwest and followed West Main St.
Aquaduct foundations.jpg
Aquaduct foundations.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:37 am

Bob Durnell wrote: I have always wondered EXACTLY where the canal ran from downtown New Haven, through East Wayne Yard, along Old Maumee Road and on into town. Are the RR tracks on the canal? on the towpath? Did the RR tracks wander away from the canal at any point in this area?
The following plat map from 1898 is probably about as good as you're going to get, without a lot of work. You should be able to zoom in after you click on the image (at the "Direct Link" location), if that doesn't work try downloading and then open with a local image viewer. Direct link http://imgur.com/fxrLD9G