MAW Trackwork

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

D.L.
Veteran

Finish what you started

Post by D.L. » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:58 pm

It would be nice to see them finish the W end first before All Track starts the E end. They have the ties in, but need to fix the rail and restore the ballast. :cry:

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:59 am

I haven't seen any other signs of work east of Cecil with the exception CR 232. It looks like a new crossing is going in there, but I think that it has more to do with the US24 project, rather than work on the MAW.

dti407

Post by dti407 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:25 pm

I got word today from a buddy that lives in town here that the diamond in Defiance will be replaced Monday. When I get home from work in the morning I will take a look to see if the parts are here. (I believe he said they were dropped off)

Greg

AL STEVENS
Veteran

Post by AL STEVENS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:29 pm

There is a picture of the new diamond on Trainorders.com at the following link,

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,1536471

Notch 8
Veteran

Diamond in the rough !

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:32 am

CSX crews have gotten the installation almost completed,
It would have probably been cheaper for CSX and the Ohio
Dept of Transportation to have just outright purchased the
segment between Defiance and Cecil than put in a diamond
and bridges to accomodate MAW, but who said you can't run
trains on spaghetti rails.
The home signals on the MAW are now on as well..
Attachments
DSCN6267.jpg
DSCN6267.jpg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 5570 times

Notch 8
Veteran

Home Signal

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:35 am

Shining Again !
Attachments
image0001.jpg
image0001.jpg (279.37 KiB) Viewed 5571 times

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:28 am

I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be one of those low speed diamonds for the M&W, where the flange rides up over the rail on the low-speed line, rather than a grooved-out diamond, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I guess the M&W showed them, didn't they!

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:01 am

Mr. Gest-

I asked that exact question over on Trainorders and a couple of CSX engineers said it was because of the amount of lead-time they needed to get the diamond designed and produced was more time than the STB would allow.

I don't blame CSX for dragging their feet for so long though. The line was unofficially abandoned before they tore the diamond out anyway. It does seem like MAW has quite the double standard though because at Liberty Center, OH, they were the second rail through that interlocking but didn't want to pay the cost of maintanence because "they weren't the original signing party" when the line was built between Wabash and the DT&I.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Yes, they're a short line struggling along, playing for whatever time they can play for, it seems. Will be interesting to see if they make use of this diamond, it might be the best piece of track they've got.

The second picture gives me the illusion that there's a brick interlocking tower guarding the diamond.

Not many on here will remember when the diamond at Hugo was out, before the New Castle District became what it is today. I can't say when it was put back in but believe it to be after 1979.

D.L.
Veteran

CNUR surprise

Post by D.L. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:28 pm

:lol: Wow, and I thought our end looked bad in places!

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Wasn't the original reason for MAW wanting the diamond put back in was to have access to the industrial park just west of there. That being said, why would they be rebuilding grade crossings on the segment between Defiance and Cecil for a line that had no traffic running on it. Does the MAW see some kind of future potential with this line segment. The only idea I can come up with is that the MAW runs right next to the new US24 for most of the way from Defiance to Cecil. Could there be some new industry that could pop up along the line in the future that the MAW sees as potential traffic sources.

Notch 8
Veteran

MAW had visitors !

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:30 am

When I was at Defiance checking out the diamond I decided
to go past the "Station" as well and there where a number
of people that seem to be interested in the contents of the
55 gal, drums located sitting about the station.
By what thy were wearing you would think that it was a
glowing in the dark ! I think it is probably water, fuel and I
doubt coolant but maybe coolant, By looking at the track
I don't believe that it is oil from an oil change, cause this
place doesn't look as though they would practice preventative
maintence
Attachments
image0004.jpg
This CSI stuff is fun !
image0004.jpg (278.53 KiB) Viewed 5400 times

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: MAW Trackwork

Post by Notch 8 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:08 pm

The diamond is in place ! i have read on this list or maybe another that the ballast
cars at Cecil where to be taken to be scrapped at the Omnisorce facility.
Was in a real hurry to get that done !If they were (MAW) were planning on using this
trackage why no maint, On the bright side I have recently seen more cars than usual
at the Lafarge facility which is good>>>>>>>that is the sorriest looking track I have seen,
looks like the trackage down at Bluffton and west. NS is revamping the yard at Bluffton
Go fiqure that too !

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Notch 8 wrote: NS is revamping the yard at Bluffton
Go fiqure that too !
According to one of the NS MOW guys who contacted me, NS is indeed spending the dollars here to handle the ethanol traffic nearby. I'm guessing staging for inbound grain/outbound ethanol. Is there any waste or other bi-product that is normally shipped out via rail as well?
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

CSX_CO

Post by CSX_CO » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Greg46m wrote:
Notch 8 wrote: NS is revamping the yard at Bluffton
Go fiqure that too !
According to one of the NS MOW guys who contacted me, NS is indeed spending the dollars here to handle the ethanol traffic nearby. I'm guessing staging for inbound grain/outbound ethanol. Is there any waste or other bi-product that is normally shipped out via rail as well?
Much of the outbound traffic from Ethanol plants is the waste/by products. They take the stuff left over (looks like dried up corn meal which it probably is) ship it out, mix in a bunch of addatives to make it nutritional to livestock, and let mother nature take its course. The Ethanol process strips the corn/grain/whatever of any nutritional value, hence the reason for the additives.

The Ethanol plant at Linden, IN probably ships out 10-15 covered hoppers a day of the by product, and maybe 1 or 2 tanks of Ethanol (some days none). The vast majority of Ethanol is trucked out. That plant is also located near a very large Cargill Elevator. They simply made a conveyor from the elevator to the plant. No need for inbound moves of grain from the railroad. That's the way to go in my estimation. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.

Whats funny is the "Chicken Shack" gas station across the Monon from the facility doesn't have E85, nor blended fuels, and often has the highest gas prices of any station along the line. You'd think with an Ethanol plant in the stations back yard they'd be at least using *some* of it.

Practice Safe CSX

Practice Safe CSX