MAW Trackwork

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:25 am

I was on my way home from work Monday night and I saw what looked like some new ties and equipment on the line east of Cecil, including the crossing of Co. Rd 115, which the rails had previously been paved over, now it looks as if they are rebuilding this crossing. Could this mean that MAW plans to run trains over this segment again.

John
Regular

Post by John » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm

Did you happen to get any pics? It'll be awhile before I can get back to Paulding County...

John

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 pm

Perhaps with the diamond going back in at Defiance they plan on using this portion of the line again. Was the bridge that caught fire in Cecil ever fixed/rebuilt?

Also, does anyone know if they've begun work on the diamond at Defiance yet? I saw the new one at Walkerton and it's pretty slick the way that CSX can go through there without so much as a bump.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:23 am

Unfortunately, no I did not have my camera with me, but I will try to get a pic today on my way to work. I haven't seen anything yet as far as the diamond being put back in at Defiance. As far as the bridge near Cecil having been fixed or rebuilt, I couldn't say for sure. How could they have got the rail equipment in with no connection (or diamond) at Defiance unless it was trucked in. The only other way would be from the west end would be to run it over the line. Another interesting thing I saw at the CR 115 crossing was it looked like they put newer rails in at this crossing, I can't really tell, but the rails at the crossing look alot bigger and heavier than the other rail around this part of the line.

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

I drove out this morning to check out the work on the MAW east of Cecil, and I had my camera with me, but the batteries were dead. aaargh!!!!
I will try to get those pics again later, but from what I saw on the MAW, it looks like they trucked the equipment in. Over by Cecil, there is still a string of coal hoppers just east of the grain elevator( I think that is where the bridge that burned is, but I'm not sure). So I'm not sure if that bridge has been repaired or not.

AL STEVENS
Veteran

Post by AL STEVENS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 pm

I didn't know for sure if the diamond at Defiance was going to go back in or if MAW and CSX negotiated for a series of switches allowing MAW to still access the remainder of their trackage.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Last I read was that MAW wouldn't agree to a series of crossover switches. So CSX was going to install the new type of diamond like they used for the Walkerton crossing with NS. The NS track basically rides up and over top of the CSX rails. CSX rails are ungapped and therefore they don't have to slow down and there's a ton less maintance cost. The diamond is rate for something like 10 or 20 mph for NS because the flanges are "free balling" for a few inches. CSX was going to do this in Defiance because the MAW is only 10 mph any way I guess and it won't slow down CSX trains.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey guys, I have some pics of the trackwork on the MAW east of Cecil. The pictures are at the CR 115 crossing. The crossing which had been previously paved over have new ties and newer rails. There is also a piece of equipment sitting there, don't know what you call it, maybe you guys might know. CR 115 is the first mile east of Route 127 or about 2 miles east of Cecil.
Attachments
railfan 001.jpg
railfan 001.jpg (291.48 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
railfan 002.jpg
railfan 002.jpg (317.71 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
railfan 003.jpg
railfan 003.jpg (353.27 KiB) Viewed 8504 times

AL STEVENS
Veteran

Post by AL STEVENS » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm

There is also a piece of equipment sitting there, don't know what you call it, maybe you guys might know.

Looks like a tamper to me.

rooyfletcher
Veteran

Post by rooyfletcher » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:53 pm

what does a tamper do?

D.L.
Veteran

Round on the ends and hi in the middle

Post by D.L. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:16 pm

Any piles of new ties sitting around in Antwerp anywhere?

John
Regular

Post by John » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks for the pic's, Dominique. They would have had to have brought that peice of equipment in from Cecil, unless they had a crane drop it on sight, which I suppose is also possible, because the crossing at Defiance is still out. The STB posting says they will have the crossing in by Dec sometime if I remember right.

John

AL STEVENS
Veteran

Post by AL STEVENS » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 pm

A tamper uses hydraulic or pneumatic "fingers" to push ballast under ties to level the track. the following link has a video of a tamper in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqehYdkEJk

dominique
Veteran

MAW Trackwork

Post by dominique » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:04 am

Very cool video of the tamper in action, all this fancy eqipment the railroads have nowadays in a heck of alot different from the way they used to do it.

dti407

Post by dti407 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:39 am

Greg46m wrote: Also, does anyone know if they've begun work on the diamond at Defiance yet?
No. I was just there yesterday and the old one was still sitting off to the side and no sign of new diamonds. I am actually moving about a block away from FC Tower (the name of the junction) and I will be able to post an update.