Wabash central expanding?

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dbrackin7
Veteran

Wabash central expanding?

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Alot of movement next to the yard today in Bluffton, two bulldozers and an excavator are next to the caboose. I noticed a fairly large amount of broken up concrete so they may be rebuilding the siding that the caboose is on? I'm wondering if they are considering refurbishing the old brick building for an engine house. The mack truck and lowboy trailer must belong to Wabash central or its parent company, it passed me the other day loaded with new stick rail and a few chemical tanks.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Wabash central expanding?

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 am

Wabash Central was owned by the same company that owned the Maumee & Western. They were purchased by Pioneer Rail. PIoneer spent several weeks sprucing up the Maumee, (see other thread for details) and now, it appears it is Wabash's turn to get some TLC.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 am

rrnut282 wrote:Wabash Central was owned by the same company that owned the Maumee & Western. They were purchased by Pioneer Rail. PIoneer spent several weeks sprucing up the Maumee, (see other thread for details) and now, it appears it is Wabash's turn to get some TLC.
The only line that Pioneer purchased was the MAW, Spencer should have some money to fix the Wabash Central now, he also retained his other line that owns in Indiana.

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am

I am aware that the Maw was purchased by pioneer, im wouldn't be suprised if CNUR isn't going to get upgrades too. And I now realize the mack truck and front folding gooseneck trailer is former MAW equipment. Im more suprised that the bluffton news banner hasn't picked up on the demolition or revamp of the old 3 story building, although in recent years it has become 2 1/4th stories due to the 3rd story falling in on itself. :)
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:32 am

Well the three story building is nearly demolished, the eastern most walls are in tact still, it looks as if it may be a little risky to tear that section down due to a propane refill station next to it.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am

Notch 8 wrote:
rrnut282 wrote:Wabash Central was owned by the same company that owned the Maumee & Western. They were purchased by Pioneer Rail. PIoneer spent several weeks sprucing up the Maumee, (see other thread for details) and now, it appears it is Wabash's turn to get some TLC.
The only line that Pioneer purchased was the MAW, Spencer should have some money to fix the Wabash Central now, he also retained his other line that owns in Indiana.
I thought it was package deal. The AMT truck showed up in Bluffton at a coincidental time.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 pm

The CNUR (Connersville & New Castle RR) is now active again, getting sand from CSX at Connersville and taking to New Castle to unload for the foundry there, then NS sending scrap gons to the scrap yard in New Castle and the CNUR delivers those. I've not heard yet, but rumors persist that Crown will get some limited rail shipments when they are open, what I haven't a clue, its just a rumor.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Gary Berkey
Veteran

Post by Gary Berkey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

CIOR, what product or service does Crown do down there? There was a Crown Corp. up here in Elkhart, they produced audio components (amps, PA's, microphones, etc.) Gary

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 am

Crown Lift Truck is based out of New Bremen OH but does manufacturing in a number of surrounding communities in the vacinity. They are also in the former Huffy Facilty that was in Celina, Crown is a very interesting company as they make most of the parts that go on their lift trucks, They do plastic injection molding, make there own hydralic cylinders, they even do chrome plating for the cylinders, they make electric motors, wire harnesses, and is owned by the Dicke Family. I visit alot of Companies and was very impressed with my visit to Crown Equipment.
Someone in the Dicke Family likes history too as they purchased and relocated a depot from the New Bremen area and the Depot was restored and is now in a residential area in New Bremen,

My guess is the foundry in Green Castle will cast components for the lift trucks, afterall they're all sorts of castings that make up a lift truck,

http://www.crown.com/usa/about/company_ ... _1930.html

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 am

What has been leaked is that most of the operations in local areas will go into the New Castle facility. I don't have any real info other than that and I take it for what its worth until I'm told directly. They have a facility in a neighboring community that will most likely be moved here and additional stuff will go in there as well.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

conrailman75
Veteran

Post by conrailman75 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 am

Crown has a small facility over here in the Dayton area, located near or in Vandalia, OH. You can see it as you drive south on I-75 before reaching the junction with I-70. All of the lift trucks we use at Meijer are all made by Crown.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:44 pm

In other Wabash Central news it looks like no.12 is getting new wheel sets. It is parked north of Wiley St with two new wheels next to it.
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm

The work on no.12 started today.
Attachments
NCM_0011.JPG
NCM_0011.JPG (266.32 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Two weeks ago a crew was looking over no. 12. It still hasn't moved under its own power in 6 months or so. Also what appears to be a 1974 gmc brigadier rotary dump truck is on a lowboy outside wabash centrals office.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 am

I thought No 12 moved last month, as I didn't see it for a couple of weeks. Now it's back. Or did they just hide it behind a cut of cars?
rrnut282
(Mike)