Proposed EL Track Removal

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

h2466
Veteran

Re: Proposed EL Track Removal

Post by h2466 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:45 pm

My wife told me that a person was arrested for helping himself to $3200 dollars worth of the former Erie track material. Anyone else hear of this? Wonder what it was? Ken.

willieVW
Regular

Post by willieVW » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:34 pm

That may have been the person in the local paper last week. They were charged with stealing cooper wire from the C.F.E. in Delphos Ohio.

LJ

Post by LJ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:34 pm

I have tried going back through the S.T.B. website and haven't seen anything about an abandonment notice or filing on these ten miles of track. Ofcourse it is possible that they filed it several years ago,but highly unlikely!!!!! I have seen in some cases where Conrail filed for abandonment of track, but then took it out of service and sold it to a shortline. Then down the road a shortline may say we don't need this piece anymore and would have to refile abandonment of the track. I know some railroads are able to take up a small portion of track off the end of the line, without all the legal paperwork, providing it is a small amount. However we are talking about ten miles of track, and it is possible that someone could be trying to pull a fast one for extra cash!!!! Ofcourse I can't prove that, but that is what it looks like. The one thing you got on this site is photo interprutation of the rail removal, now get the mile markers from start to finish, and turn it in, only if you feel that this abandonment isn't right. To me it is questionable!!!!!
Usally if they were to railbank a r-o-w, all of the bridges would have to be left in place for future transportation use. The same for the r-o-w, with the exception at the road crossings. If it is a total abandonment, than by law they have to return the land back to its most original position or the way nature intended it. Like I said before, I haven't seen any abandonment notice on it yet??? If it is being removed without the S.T.B. knowing about it, then the owners could be forced into putting it all back in the way they found it. But that is the worse the S.T.B. could make them do. It is still ashame to see more of the old Erie Railroad get pulled. Looks to me like a nice place to store unwanted railroad cars. Even a dinner train.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Interesting theory LJ, No one seemed to know anything about this. Unitrac finally showed up again in OC and from the looks of things they are drilling new holes in all the rail that has been cropped(great weather to that in). The rail and OTM has just been setting there since Oct. I'm really surprised they haven't shipped it all out yet. Ken

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Ken
It is cheaper to store on site then ship to a buyer than take to their yard and reship.Cuts out a lot of transportation costs. Besides they probably are not paying anything for storage.

JW

D.L.
Veteran

Re: EL Track Removal

Post by D.L. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 pm

:( Driving S out of Van Wert on US 127 will never be the same now. Just hate to see that mighty ROW sitting empty-what a shame. :evil:

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Makes since, JW. Thanks, Ken

Dave1984
Regular

Post by Dave1984 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:39 pm

I've been taking video and still shots of the whole length between Glenmore and Ohio City the last several years, knowing it probably wouldn't be around much longer, I was really disappointed last Spring to see that this 10 mile or so section was soon to be removed. I did create a couple slide presentations of various pictures, mainly in the Ohio City, Decatur area, they can be found on YouTube, see link below. The older Ohio City videos are from a year or two back. It sure is a shame of what used to be in Ohio City, simply hard to believe it's all gone now, seems not that long ago they run the "Santa Claus Train" this time of year from Decatur to the Ohio City area and back again.

You tube, copy and paste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz9OgwKhR3w
(I realize the wig-wag is not Ohio City, it is Uniondale Indiana, it was mis-labeled when I came across it on the net)
Attachments
19780813_07[1] - Copy (2).jpg
19780813_07[1] - Copy (2).jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
4425719693_ede7e6a9a0.jpg
4425719693_ede7e6a9a0.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
ohiocity[1] - Copy - Copy.gif
ohiocity[1] - Copy - Copy.gif (129.45 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

In todays Times Bulletin there an artical about turning the roadbed from Ohio City to Glenmore into a Rails to Trails line. What a brilliant idea!! Not! :roll:

cptp1973
Veteran

Post by cptp1973 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 pm

While I was home over the holidays, I noticed the railroad scene on Line, Elm, and Winchester Streets in Decatur has become virtually nonexistent with the exception being the short section of former EL track. It made me wonder what is left across other parts of Indiana. I am aware of the refinery section that State Road 13 goes over, but are there any other sections that remain? Also, with the exception of RJ Corman in Ohio, what else is left there?

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm

I think the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum retained a short one mile stretch of track east of North Judson when they abandoned the line from there to Monterrey. Not sure if the short stretch in Rochester, IN still exists or not :?
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 pm

The line past the station in Rochester was still there a year ago.

Gary Berkey
Veteran

Post by Gary Berkey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Yep Chris, the old Erie track is still in Rochester. As a matter of fact, a poster on the Indiana board reported earlier this evening that Pioneer Rail Corp. brought down a length of tank cars to park on the Erie main! Gary

midland sub
Veteran

Post by midland sub » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:04 pm

The Van Wert Port Authority had approval to abandon the line for quite some time. Since the state of Ohio used FRA funds to purchase the line way back in 1978, the port authority was required to return 90% of the money received for it's scrap value to the state. Van Wert PA ended up returning a little over $930,000 which was placed in an interest bearing account for later use by the ORDC. The good news is that the ORDC gave a $500,000 grant to the Van Wert PA to rebuild a section of the former Cincinnati Northern line at Van Wert. The former CN will be rebuilt from the CF&E diamond north to the US 30 overpass where a new section of trackage will be built into the Van Wert super site. Not only will this help the super site be developed, it will allow Scott Equity to load 286,000 grain cars.

LJ wrote:I have tried going back through the S.T.B. website and haven't seen anything about an abandonment notice or filing on these ten miles of track. Ofcourse it is possible that they filed it several years ago,but highly unlikely!!!!! I have seen in some cases where Conrail filed for abandonment of track, but then took it out of service and sold it to a shortline. Then down the road a shortline may say we don't need this piece anymore and would have to refile abandonment of the track. I know some railroads are able to take up a small portion of track off the end of the line, without all the legal paperwork, providing it is a small amount. However we are talking about ten miles of track, and it is possible that someone could be trying to pull a fast one for extra cash!!!! Ofcourse I can't prove that, but that is what it looks like. The one thing you got on this site is photo interprutation of the rail removal, now get the mile markers from start to finish, and turn it in, only if you feel that this abandonment isn't right. To me it is questionable!!!!!
Usally if they were to railbank a r-o-w, all of the bridges would have to be left in place for future transportation use. The same for the r-o-w, with the exception at the road crossings. If it is a total abandonment, than by law they have to return the land back to its most original position or the way nature intended it. Like I said before, I haven't seen any abandonment notice on it yet??? If it is being removed without the S.T.B. knowing about it, then the owners could be forced into putting it all back in the way they found it. But that is the worse the S.T.B. could make them do. It is still ashame to see more of the old Erie Railroad get pulled. Looks to me like a nice place to store unwanted railroad cars. Even a dinner train.

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm

286,000 grain cars,no way.

JW
midland sub wrote:The Van Wert Port Authority had approval to abandon the line for quite some time. Since the state of Ohio used FRA funds to purchase the line way back in 1978, the port authority was required to return 90% of the money received for it's scrap value to the state. Van Wert PA ended up returning a little over $930,000 which was placed in an interest bearing account for later use by the ORDC. The good news is that the ORDC gave a $500,000 grant to the Van Wert PA to rebuild a section of the former Cincinnati Northern line at Van Wert. The former CN will be rebuilt from the CF&E diamond north to the US 30 overpass where a new section of trackage will be built into the Van Wert super site. Not only will this help the super site be developed, it will allow Scott Equity to load 286,000 grain cars.

LJ wrote:I have tried going back through the S.T.B. website and haven't seen anything about an abandonment notice or filing on these ten miles of track. Ofcourse it is possible that they filed it several years ago,but highly unlikely!!!!! I have seen in some cases where Conrail filed for abandonment of track, but then took it out of service and sold it to a shortline. Then down the road a shortline may say we don't need this piece anymore and would have to refile abandonment of the track. I know some railroads are able to take up a small portion of track off the end of the line, without all the legal paperwork, providing it is a small amount. However we are talking about ten miles of track, and it is possible that someone could be trying to pull a fast one for extra cash!!!! Ofcourse I can't prove that, but that is what it looks like. The one thing you got on this site is photo interprutation of the rail removal, now get the mile markers from start to finish, and turn it in, only if you feel that this abandonment isn't right. To me it is questionable!!!!!