Transpoint Intermodal Yard project

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

slparker1967

Transpoint Intermodal Yard project

Post by slparker1967 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 am

Sorry about this, I've been meaning to post about this, but have had limited time lately.

At the April 20, 2009, Fort Wayne Redevelopment Commission meeting, Greg Leatherman, Executive Director of Redevelopment gave a status update for the Traspoint Intermodal Yard to be built at Adams Center and Paulding Roads. Everything appears to be coming together, even thought it has taken some time. For more details about the meeting and in particular, the biggest reason for the length of time this project has taken to come together, read my report here:

http://aroundfortwayne.info/blog/?p=4076

Thanks to all!
Stephen

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Transpoint Intermodal Yard project

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am

If it's built it will have a small impact on traffic in Chicago. Many, if not most, containers are interlined via the streets, not rail. It will have little to no impact on traffic here, as the containers coming to consignees in this area will either arrive by truck from Chicago or arrive by truck from this facility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it. The longer containers stay on rail, the better. I'm just concerned that there isn't enough local traffic to keep this operation profitable.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am

As a truck driver and an observer. I think I could get in and out of a rail yard in chicago by the time it takes the CF&E to pick their train up deliver it to New haven then them get it ready for local delivery.

I agree with you Mike that I do not see why we need this because there isn't enough local traffic to keep this operation profitable. But, Fort Wayne know's best. Look at all of there other big spending ideas that is costing the taxpayers $$$$$$. AFAIK Fort Wayne looks at what is making money in all the other cities. They think they can do better and make more money doing it

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 am

Transpoint Intermodal will begin construction this year in the southeast corner of Adams Center Rd. and the CSX/CF&E. It will have two double-ended side tracks, with two more to be added later.

They have 60-65 acres and most will be for container storage and staging.

Craig

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 am

Groundbreaking at Transpoint Intermodal's Adams Center Rd. site is 6/28, 1:30 p.m. They said they will start construction that week. I don't know when it will be in service.

Craig

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:01 pm

I think it's safe to say that like Indiana Rail Road's intermodal venture in Indy, it won't compete so much on speed as it would on price. I'm not too sure about the location though. The old N&W Piggyback yard would be a much better choice. You could route trains into and out of it going ANY direction on NS.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 am

The route from Asia to Prince Rupert, then rail bypassing Chicago to Ft. Wayne will be three days faster than the current route through Long Beach. Some of the sea routes will be 1,000 mi. shorter.

There will be too many trucks in the future for the narrow city streets and stoplights. The Adams Center site is 3.25 mi. from I-469, and 2 mi. from SR-930, so quick access to I-69, US-30 and US-24. Adams Center Rd. will be widened and rebuilt. We and TI expect industries that use transmodal to locate along Adams Center.

Craig

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Yes, but wouldn't Prince Rupert to Chicago and then Fort Wayne via truck actually be faster than Prince Rupert or Long Beach all the way to Fort Wayne by rail? I can't imagine the CF&E beating ANY truck Chicago to Fort Wayne. As for location, the N&W piggyback yard is only a block off the new and improved Maplecrest Road, so you basically have the same location with better rail access and faster running times via the NKP, PLUS rail access to the Wabash. I'm not saying NS could have been convinced to participate with the plan, just that I think it would be a better location. I always thought the economical way to serve Fort Wayne was to just put the Fort Wayne block on the very back of the train, pull into a siding, drop the cars while the train is doing the crew change, and the train is on it's way while the cars are unloaded. The empties and or any new loads would be tacked on the rear of the westbound counterpart while IT changes crews. If you have seen the small area where INRD unloads containers, you don't need much room.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Several hundred trucks daily between Prince Rupert and Ft. Wayne might be very expensive compared to rail.

The Adams Center site has about 35 acres for container storage and staging, and Transpoint has options on additional land because they think they may need it when all four sidings are in operation. They are starting with two sidings, connected to the mainline at both ends. They'll have about a dozen employees when operations begin, not including truck drivers.

My office reviewed the site plan, but the people we worked with aren't the operations people, so I don't know how it will be served or how often by CF&E. Transpoint told us their service area was most of Ind., the south 1/2 of Mich. and all of Ohio, and that they wanted to be in Ft. Wayne.

Craig

Jim
Veteran

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:55 pm

When I was shipping containers between Indy and Asia several years ago, it was cheaper and faster to rail to/from Chicago and truck between Chicago and Indy. When NW had a ramp here, East Coast container would go via Chicago and New Orleans containers would go via Toledo.

They will have trouble competing with North Baltimore

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Jim:

From Indy, eastbound containers went northwest to Chicago, and southbound containers northeast to Toledo? How did they get to Toledo? Why didn't you ship the eastbound containers to Toledo with the southbound containers? It was faster to ship to New Orleans by Great Lakes and ocean?

CSX owns North Baltimore and Ft. Wayne. They were at the table for the Ft. Wayne project. Different business models. Why will Ft. Wayne have trouble competing with North Baltimore?

Craig

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:59 am

This project seems to have ground to a halt. Went by there Monday and it doesn't look like ANYTHING has happened for months.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:28 pm

They told us last week that they are going to complete another part of the project before continuing work here.

Craig

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Did this get completed ? I know it was started but thought thinks stalled ?

Mike

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Went by there last Thursday, and NOTHING going on. Just a lot of weeds growing.