765 Break-In Run

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Steve Bryan
Veteran

765 Break-In Run

Post by Steve Bryan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 pm

The 765 had what appeared to be a successful break-in run today on the CF&E to Van Wert. I took a number of pictures that turned out pretty good for an overcast and at times snowy day.

CG Tower

Re: 765 Break-In Run

Post by CG Tower » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Steve Bryan wrote:The 765 had what appeared to be a successful break-in run today on the CF&E to Van Wert. I took a number of pictures that turned out pretty good for an overcast and at times snowy day.
Can anyone confirm if she'll be out tomorrow (Sunday)? I'd like to take the kids out to see her go by.

CG

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:00 pm

At 10:30 P.M. tonight , I saw her sitting steaming,
on the Piqua hump. A very fine sight,numberboards lit and headlight dimmed,facing East.Larry told me she will run tomorrow.Also,messages
on two other boards affirm that she will run Sunday.

'night

Mark

nickleplate

Post by nickleplate » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:54 am

Engine was in Monroeville this morning.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:02 pm

I think since the test runs are over and quite successful from what I know of, I can post some video :)

So here ya go for everyone that couldn't make it out to see 765 this weekend, this is a taste of the excitement.

Windows Media File (much smaller)
http://www.fwarailfan.net/video/765.wmv

MPEG File for Mac users (much larger, but download speed is 750K+)
http://www.fwarailfan.net/video/765_large.mpg

Enjoy!

CG Tower

Post by CG Tower » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:03 pm

Perhaps the folks that didn't get to see it were just following your warning posted in the General Discussion area. :?

I sure hope you weren't one of the railfans climbing on the tracks!

I'm glad I don't follow directions very well! :wink:

CG

Greg46m wrote: Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:36 pm Post subject: In reguards to 765 Reply with quote
Group-

With respect to the initives of the 765 group, I have decided to delete the postings made recently concerning some possible operations in the near future. In order for them to be able to get passenger trains running, they need to build strong relationships with the host freight railroads. And I believe a huge part of this is to NOT have railfans climbing all around the tracks when they might be testing equipment.

I visited the shops today and talked with a few of the guys out there. They just indicated they were doing more testing of the locomotive and braking equipment and said nothing about taking it out for a run. Perhaps just a quick jaunt up to the switch and back is all thats planned.

Greg46m wrote:I think since the test runs are over and quite successful from what I know of, I can post some video :)

So here ya go for everyone that couldn't make it out to see 765 this weekend, this is a taste of the excitement.

Windows Media File (much smaller)
http://www.fwarailfan.net/video/765.wmv

MPEG File for Mac users (much larger, but download speed is 750K+)
http://www.fwarailfan.net/video/765_large.mpg

Enjoy!

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:29 pm

CG Tower wrote:Perhaps the folks that didn't get to see it were just following your warning posted in the General Discussion area. :?

Do as I do, not as I say. 8)

Or perhaps they were several hundred miles away from Ft Wayne and COULDN'T come watch it. Richard Yager in Oregon, who I hear was with the 765 group for many years, Keith Harris in Mississippi, our own Zeke who was on a trip to Atlanta this weekend, my friend Chris in Nashville who was on a mission trip in Europe for the past 9 days, my boss Ryan who wanted to take his 4 year old son to see it, but couldn't because he was working...you know, those people.

And as a matter of fact, no, I wasn't one of those railfans climbing on the tracks. Ask Joe, he was piloting 765, he'll tell you if I was ever on the tracks or not.

People cried about censorship this weekend. I was asked to remove the posts for a reason I still believe was in the best interest of the FWRHS. They were trying to prove to RR executives that they were a serious, responsible group wanting to have excursion runs. How do you think a mob of railfans even worse than the crowd we saw would have looked? What if somebody would have gotten hit because they were trying to beat it across the crossing to the next one down the line?

If people wanted to post about it after I deleted the initial posts, I probably wouldn't have deleted them because it was so close to Saturday by that point it wouldn't have mattered. If I REALLY didn't want anybody posting about 765 I would have put a word censor for it in. In effect every time you type the word "765" it'd display "unspecified steam engine", then nobody would have any idea what's being said. But I didn't because I know that if information like that is available, word WILL get around one way or another.

If any beneficial relationship would come along with the FWRHS from this curtousy I provided them now or in the future, I'll be sure that the people bitching and moaning about this one little incident don't ream any benefits.

Think about it. If the Journal Gazzett recieved word that 765 was running this weekend, don't you think they would have verified that with the historical society? And when they talked with Rich Melvin or Kelly Lynch, and they asked the paper not to print it because they didn't want extra attention, and for good reason, don't you think the paper would have taken the request into consideration and not printed it out of curtousy? In this case, I bet so. This situation is no different.

You saw the engine, didn't you? All right then.
I'm glad I don't follow directions very well! Wink
I also never said you couldn't go chase it, I just said I didn't want it discussed on this board at the present time. 8)
Last edited by Greg46m on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cgtower

Post by cgtower » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Greg46m wrote:
CG Tower wrote:Perhaps the folks that didn't get to see it were just following your warning posted in the General Discussion area. :?

Do as I do, not as I say. 8)
Noted as such!

So pretty much everything we read from your posts should be read the opposite way? :P Oh my... :wink:

CG

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:11 pm

cgtower wrote:
Noted as such!

So pretty much everything we read from your posts should be read the opposite way? :P Oh my... :wink:

CG
Not really. If I say I'm not tresspassing, I'm not. If I say I'm not climbing on engines I'm not. If I say I'm not going to shoot on a sunny day, I AM. You must be the judge of where to draw those conclusions I guess. :lol:

alcot6

765 Break IN

Post by alcot6 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:15 pm

I'm not a "Brokeback Railfan" but I love you man, because of this message board I was able to see, hear, smell and feel soot fall into my hair from a real live working steam engine.
AlcoT6

Greg46m
Site Admin

Re: 765 Break IN

Post by Greg46m » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:22 pm

alcot6 wrote:I'm not a "Brokeback Railfan" but I love you man, because of this message board I was able to see, hear, smell and feel soot fall into my hair from a real live working steam engine.
AlcoT6
Hold on, let me stop laughing for a second hear bud.
Ok, thats better.

I've heard some very humorous ways to use that "Brokeback" expression recently but that has got to top them all, I love it man.

That just made my day, Thanks Alco!

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:49 pm

GREG, ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND MY WIFE SAYS DOUBLE THAT. I MADE A FAN OUT OF HER WORKING WITH THE "110" ON THE LITTLE RIVER RAILROAD FOR 8 YEARS IN THE 90"S.
SURE IS NEAT TO SEE HER STEAM AGAIN. I HANDED A LOT OF YARD TRACK ASSIGNMENTS ON HER AT RUNNION AVE. CABIN IN THE 50'S.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, AS WELL AS THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SITE.

KEITH

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:32 pm

Well, as someone who is a supporting member of that cause, after reading here that the train might be out and about, I called up the folks at FWRHS on friday to confirm, and was lied to told that the 765 would not leave their premises.

Just something special about getting lied to.....makes me really glad they appreciate my support.

For them to ASSume that all curious onlookers would be problematic, and therefore decide it served their best interest to lie.....is a crock. There are MANY legit places from which a roadside pass by would not have caused them the grief that they so feared.

They have seen the last dime they will ever get out of me ...

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:15 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, as someone who is a supporting member of that cause, after reading here that the train might be out and about, I called up the folks at FWRHS on friday to confirm, and was lied to told that the 765 would not leave their premises

Whaaa! If they told everyone who called what they were doing, the place would have been crawling with a ton of people. I remember back in the early '90's when NS wouldn't let you on the property when they serviced 1218. There were alot of pissed off people then, but the NS didn't have to worry about someone getting hurt. What it boils down to, in this case, the fewer who knew, the better. There were only a few people there this morning when the engine left Fort Wayne. There were only a couple of cars that chased it farther than Paulding Road. In the end, you might benefit more from being lied to, because you might get the chance to ride on an excursion. And if you were REALLY into the Society, you would've known what was going to go on.

alcot6

765 Break In

Post by alcot6 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:13 am

They have seen the last dime they will ever get out of me ...[/quote]

I'm no gu-ru on the facts of life but I do have enough ticks on the yard stick of life to know if you want to see a flaw in this plan, just put your hand in a bucket of water and pull it back out and watch what happens.
Aocot6