NS Dispatchers

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Wayne Gest
Veteran

NS Dispatchers

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm

It's being reported that Norfolk Southern is serving notice and moving all dispatchers systemwide to Atlanta.

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: NS Dispatchers

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:11 pm

That'll suck. I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs into one basket. It's a lot harder for the dispatchers to hop a ride for a familiarization run. Plus, remoteness fosters a lack of intamacy. (I'm referring to customer relations, new track installations, what the weather is doing, ground conditions, etc)
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 am

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for the former NKP roundhouse ? I can't figure why the Frankfort roundhouse still stands.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 pm

It might well be. The division offices are still there but the timekeeping duties were moved years ago and now the dispatcher forces are departing. With the consolidation of the dispatchers, it might well lead to the consolidation of more divisions. I understand that the Dearborn Division has a relatively new building that's partially empty in Dearborn.

Some 30 years or so ago, there were rumors of a new yard office building being built across the tracks at East Wayne from the present one, with a tower, similar to the one that was built at the GM Yard at Roanoke, VA. Of course, it never happened and the one at Roanoke has that unused (never used) tower.