Updates to the website

For information reguarding updates to the FWARailfan Website and forums

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

Updates to the website

Post by Greg46m » Tue May 20, 2014 11:21 pm

I thought I'd take a minute to let everyone know of a few changes that have been happening around here lately. As some of you may, or maybe haven't noticed, I recently decided to stop paying a monthly fee to have this website hosted on a commercial server and have decided instead to have it hosted on my own server from my home. I consider myself a bit of a novice when it comes to setting up a Linux server, but with the help of my brother (who just graduated last weekend with a BA in computer science) I was able to setup a working linux web server and transition the website over from the old hosting provider. I've had a couple hickups since it went live about a week ago, but finally I think everything has been worked out and things are running pretty smoothly (including the Daily Digest feature which I finally just got working). If anyone experiences any issues with the website please feel free to let me know via email (lavoie01 AT roadrunner DOT com)

As far as the future of this website, I don't have any plans other than to keep it where it is and let everyone enjoy each others company as we have been. Since I haven't lived in the Summit City for over 5 years now, I don't get back there to railfan very often, but I do enjoy keeping tabs on things and enjoy learning about what you guys have to share from the area. If anyone has an idea of something that would be cool to have on this website, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Furthermore, if there is someone that would like to update some of the static informational pages on the main website, I'd be more than happy to assist with making that happen.

Thanks for all the years of conversations that we have had on here and I look forward to many more to come.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Updates to the website

Post by rrnut282 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 pm

I just want to make sure you know your efforts are appreciated.
rrnut282
(Mike)

rcall31060

Post by rcall31060 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Your efforts, on behalf of the membership, are sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

Jim
Veteran

Post by Jim » Mon May 26, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you very much Greg. I appreciate you maintaining the web site Jim

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon May 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Also want to thank you, Greg, for keeping it up. It's slow going sometimes but then Craig Berndt or someone shows up and posts a fascinating historical picture and then I remember why I like to check in here.

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue May 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I mostly only do FWRF and Trainorders anymore.
I mean this as a big compliment and Thank You.

Mark D.

matt
Veteran

Post by matt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:04 am

First off, I wanted to thank you for maintaining this site!This was the first railfan site I ever found on the internet years ago and I still get on it daily. I live in Kendallville In. and if possible would love to update the Indiana and Ohio locations pages with some more current info and photos. I'd like to add a couple more locations like Auburn In, Defiance Ohio etc. and make a page on the Napoleon, Defiance and Western. I don't have a lot of Fort Wayne pictures but have a bunch of the surrounding area. I'd also like to add current photos to the EL section. I have several of what's left taken in the past year. If your interested let me know,thank you.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Sorry for the outage over the last 24 hours or so guys. Last night I logged into the server to perform some routine maintenance including a Linux system update. I left the update running when I went to bed and woke up this morning to a server that I couldn't even log into, much less running a website. So after finally getting the operating system running over my lunch break, then spending a couple hours tonight repairing apache, it looks like it's finally up and running. I think I'm going to keep my fingers out of where they don't belong from now on :).

And now I return you to your regularly schedule programming...
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster