Trains O42 & O44

New train symbols, routings, reroutes and such.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

rrnut282
Veteran

Trains O42 & O44

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:04 am

I was following the ex-Pennsy the other day and went through Etna Green. I noticed at the former manufactured housing plant a parking lot full of FEMA trailers. Are they just parked there for staging/storage? They aren't loading them onto RR flatcars there are they? That might explain why trains O42/O44 come through FWA. Joe M., can you shed any light on the subject? Inquiring minds want to know.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Joe Millspaugh

042 & 044

Post by Joe Millspaugh » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:30 pm

Mike....the plant was idle for the longest time and it was almost like overnight it swung into full production....from what I have seen and heard from some of the local folk is they build them from the ground up there and ship them via truck to Elkhart for loading...some are shipped direct via semi to points south...none are being handled by the CF&E...I wish we had a spur in there...even if just to ship in the building materials...and nothing even close for a trans-loading operation :cry: :cry: :cry:

thomas d.

trains 042 & 044

Post by thomas d. » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 am

mike
there is 3 plants that are making those FEMA trailers, most are being loaded in elkhart, but there is so many that a fleet of private drivers that are humping them down there , via pick-up trucks, heck even the other day, i was a guy driving his personal van, with a magnetic sign on the side.
thomas d.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 am

Yes - I drive I-65 alot and I see all kinds of pickup trucks driving south with trailers. Wonder how much they make to drive all the way up to Goshen from the south?

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Pickup trucks average $1.35 a mile on travel trailers. Semi pulling mobile homes $2.50 a mile. Talking to a few of these guys FEMA pays a $500-$1000 dollar bonus for every day you pull a week without taking a day off. But remeber you only get paid for loaded miles.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:09 pm

That doesn't sound too bad. Of course, does that include expenses like fuel, lodging, ect? I've heard things like $.60/mile for a semi driver, not sure if thats both ways or what exactly. A mobile home is quite a load for a pickup truck so I assume they guzzle fuel, especially once they start going through the hills farther south. Sucks if they gotta pay for fuel.

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:26 pm

That is good pay but, thats for an owner operator. You pay expenses like fuel, lodging, up keep etc.

Truck driving (tractor/trailer): if you are a company driver $0.60 is a great deal but you will never be home. Most drivers just getting out of school will be lucky to find $0.30/mile and home most weekends not limited to getting home Saturday and leaving Sunday afternoon (This is what weekend are called in the OTR Business. They did promise being home Saturdays & Sundays).

Hauling for FEMA pays well now but once all the trailers are done hauling your contract is up. But for a pickup truck 2wd late model with extended cab (your lodging) you can expect 15/mpg loaded @ $1.35 is not to bad and empty depending on where you delivered to 20-25/mpg @ $0.00 figure if you are making any money. But if FEMA throws a bonus it is worth your time especially if you are single or your wife & kids do not mind you are gone all the time. If you are interested take a drive up to Wakarusa, Indiana (north of Nappanee) and check them out. There are a couple of companies right on SR 19 west side of road looking for owner operators.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:51 am

I've thought about truck driving, at least for a few years to get a feel for it. Money is better than minimum wage. I don't think I could do the FEMA thing though, doubt my little ranger could pull a trailer like that!

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm

You want to try truck driving and do not mind being gone one night a week and home every weekend contact me off list. I can tell you that the company I work for after training will start you out around $11.50 - $12.50/hour starting 40 hours a week min.

nssd70

Post by nssd70 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:01 pm

When I started out 8 years ago I was makin 0.34/per mile and out 3-4 weeks at a time and then home for 24-48 hours. Now I am making $15.00 an hour and home every night and weekend. I miss seeing different parts of the Country,but having 2 small kids and a wife it sure is nice to see them every night!

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:56 am

I know that wages starting today for OTR is lower than 10 years ago. I started @ $0.37 cpm but now I am a local food delivery driver @ $19.00/hour. I can tell you that current CPM for newbies out of school is:

Werner - 24-26 cents per mile
Swift - 28 cents per mile
Falcon Transportation (Youngstown, Ohio)- 28 cents per mile
JB Hunt - 31 -36 cents per mile depending how long your out
Schneider - 29 cents per mile

These companies will take you out of school and will show you the country side. Being home 24 - 48 hours every week if your lucky. Now a days it is hard to find a company that will take you straight out of school and put you into a semi. I drove for Falcon Transportation at a mileage rate and that was good. But if you are only making money loaded & when the truck is moving not when your sleeping in a yard waiting to be loaded or a dispatcher is trying to find a load. Now I like my Hourly job I see all of Indiana get to railfan with a semi (single axle tractor/35 foot trailer). But I do have to help unload my truck. I clock in most days at 3-330 am and done by 1:00 pm Monday - Friday no weekends. I have been with my current company going on 5 years and have never worked a weekend.

thomas d.

Post by thomas d. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:13 am

i drive for menards , work 50 hours a week , drop and hook at the store , home every night , 2 days off a week , the run i"m doing pays 22.40 an hour, that"s starting pay, so i would look around when that DC opens in ohio.

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: 042 & 044

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 am

Joe Millspaugh wrote:Mike....the plant was idle for the longest time and it was almost like overnight it swung into full production....from what I have seen and heard from some of the local folk is they build them from the ground up there and ship them via truck to Elkhart for loading...some are shipped direct via semi to points south...none are being handled by the CF&E...I wish we had a spur in there...even if just to ship in the building materials...and nothing even close for a trans-loading operation :cry: :cry: :cry:
I figured it was too good to be true, CF&E couldn't be that lucky. When I'm "on the clock", I can't check out what I see. It was "wishful thinking" on my part that the railroad had any part in resurrecting that mothballed factory. Seriously, if you want a spur in there, I can set you up with the survey and site engineering. I also have contacts with several firms that can build it up to the sub-roadbed, ready for your ties. :)
rrnut282
(Mike)