Far from home

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wheeler
Veteran

Far from home

Post by wheeler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 am

I saw this car in with a string of NS hoppers this morning and thought of how it got as far east as Indiana :? Sitting in line with the car dumper at IDI Butler
Not the best pic.(camera phone) :oops: build date 5-82 Image

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Far from home

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:37 am

Actually this is not uncommon with the coal that heads this way from the Powder River Basin
however I was going through Garrett IN earlier this week and saw a Rio Grande hopper as well
but with CSXT markings that caught my eye.
Does either (Butler or Columbia City)of the SDI plants bring in coke for there process ?

Ibflattop
Veteran

Post by Ibflattop » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:59 pm

I know that SDI in Butler brings on ore for some of their steel according to the head of the transportation department there. I suppose SDI- CC does also. Kevin
Move west!!!!!!!
"Slack on the Pin!!!!!!"
"CIOR Engineer "takin up both mains and a siding" and not called E.O.T., called " Running on Markers" !!!!!!!!!!!

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:51 pm

Notch 8 wrote:Does either (Butler or Columbia City)of the SDI plants bring in coke for there process ?
No coke. IDI uses the coal in their process. (Iron dynamics) for "scrap substitute" you will have to read up on that yourselves.
There is an old (bought used) 1 car at a time car dumper that is not described as being fast, as they have to jog and uncouple each car to dump. :shock:
maybe I will get a pic of that when it warms up.