Casad Depot

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Casad Depot

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Was Casad served by all the RR's that served Ft Wayne or just the 2 RR's
that went past the Casad. NKP & Wabash 5th Dist ? how long ago was the
last traffic in and out of the facility. not including the last several years
of winding down.

How much track was in this facility ? they did have a switcher on site as
well, would of they had a steam switcher as well based at Casad ? when
steam was still in use.
There is a paint shop on the north side of this complex that is connected
to the rail, rail runs inside of building what was the use of this building ?
Did the complex have its on steam plant for heat ? I was under the
impression that not only was it used for storage for Defense National Stockpile
but also prepared materials, equipment and the like for shipment overseas,

Some things I found on Casad, Who was Casad ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=37294

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -haven.htm

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/ ... 48177.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07018/754855-28.stm

"Victor
The track at Casad is not an interchange track. It was a government
built second access to Casad. Because Casad stored defense materials
it was mandated that both the Wabash and the NKP would serve the
depot. It wasn't until the early 70's that Casad decided that the
West end old Wabash connection as no longer needed( both connections
were N&W by that time)and let the 765 boys lease a section of it for
our original rebuid site. Shortly after that Casad sold off the back
third of the depot to a private party who turned it into an
industrial park. Richard Yager"

Mike

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Re: Casad Depot

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 pm

DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER ALL OF THE NEW AUTOMOBILES THAT WERE STORED THERE DURING WW2. THEY WERE IN PLAIN SITE OF HIGHWAY 14. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY, BUT IT WAS A LARGE NUMBER. SOME WERE IN MILITARY OLIVE DRAB COLOR, BUT MOST WERE NORMAL COLORS, AND MOST MAKES WERE REPRESENTED. CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE MOVED OUT. A LITTLE HARD TO REMEMBER SOMETHING 65 PLUS YEARS AGO.
WHAT INTRIGUED ME MORE WAS THE CANNON MOUNTED ON A FLAT CAR THAT PATROLED THE PERIMITER OF THE GROUNDS. I SAW IT MOVING ONE TIME.

KEITH

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 am

I found this on the net as well, the views of the link is really bi-polar
but I thought some of you would get a laugh that someone would
come up with the crap !
However it does contain some pics as well as some arials, What happen
to the German POW's that they kept at Casad ?

http://www.gnn.tv/forum/thread.php?id=8957

Mike

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 am

Back in the early 60's maybe late 50's there used to be heavyweight passenger cars stored on the front side of the depot.IIRC they were Wabash,Pullmans,and I think even an open end observation car.Anybody have pictures of these you would care to share?

JW

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 pm

After trying to figure out for years what Casad was an acronym for or what it meant, I found an old-timer who knew the Casad family who had lived there before they sold their farm to the government and that's where the name came from.

And there was a POW camp in Fort Wayne during the War, but it was located at the corner of Oxford St. and Wayne Trace where the Navistar Reliability Center and the Verizon buildings now are. Some of the old buildings from WWII were still there into the 1970s.

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I found this on the net is well, what would have been the need for refridgeration at Casad ?

http://www.threshingbee.org/corliss.html

Mike

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:39 pm

My grandmother worked at Casad during WW2. Until the day she died,in 1974, she was under oath to never reveal what was made there or stored upon the property or she could go to jail. With what I came in contact with in the Army and no security clearances what was there during WW2 must have been some scary stuff.

JW

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Looking at the threshingbee site, I think it is saying that the Northern Illinois Steam Club has a refrigeration setup that came from United States Glue Company, Carrollville, Wisconsin and it is powered by a boiler that came from CASAD, not that the whole setup came from CASAD.

There may well have been refrigeration for some of the materials stored at CASAD, but this isn't saying that. The boiler was probably used for heating the complex.

Ibflattop
Veteran

Post by Ibflattop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 am

After my Father in law was discharged from the U.S.Army in 1946. He did a stint as a Security Guard at the depot for a while. Kevin
Move west!!!!!!!
"Slack on the Pin!!!!!!"
"CIOR Engineer "takin up both mains and a siding" and not called E.O.T., called " Running on Markers" !!!!!!!!!!!

Damyankee
Regular

Post by Damyankee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:56 pm

I worked at Casad in the summer of 1969 when I was 17 doing roads and grounds maintenance. Even at 17 they did a lengthy security check on me, my parents, grandparents, etc. Most of the guards there were US Marshals, and they had trained attack dogs there. I remember mowing next to their pen and I thought they would chew through it to get at me! Once a man was injured and the guards let the ambulance in but not the New Haven police officer who showed up. The officer was upset but they pointed to a sign that said 'Property of the U. S. government' and he backed off.

At that time Casad was completely self-contained. It had it's own fire department, two wells, huge electric generators, stored food and water, etc. The motor pool had WW ll vintage Jeeps, deuce and a half's etc, that looked and ran like new. They also had a locomotive house for the two switchers they had, one of which was given to the local RR historical society. At that time the railroads left and picked up cars outside the depot, and the switcher would go out and get them.

I remember spraying for moths in a warehouse with a million pounds of baled goose down in it. I also remember warehouses full of crude rubber, which was in huge thin sheets rolled up into bales. It smelled like frying bacon in there. I once went into a building with a supervisor who took me only because no one was allowed in the building alone. I can't say what was in there.

Once I accidentally saw something I wasn't supposed to, and before I left work that day my supervisor and a guard took me in a room and told me I couldn't repeat what I had seen. Ever. It was an interesting job for a teenager, but mostly it was mowing in the hot sun all day, or repairing cracks in the streets, or helping the painter paint warehouses with a 4" brush all day.

Ibflattop
Veteran

Post by Ibflattop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Since we are talking about the Casad Depot. I was wondering whos passenger cars that are on the back side of the depot are? There are 2 of them. One is an baggage car and the other one is a Chair car i think. Its been a while since I seen them lately. You can see one of the ends sticking out from behind one of the warehouses when you are driving on Edgerton road. I know the warehouses that are closer to Edgerton road are Private companies and not U.S. Goverment. I have been 5 feet away from the Passenger cars a couple of years ago. Kevin
Move west!!!!!!!
"Slack on the Pin!!!!!!"
"CIOR Engineer "takin up both mains and a siding" and not called E.O.T., called " Running on Markers" !!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Post by Steve Bryan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:08 pm

I once knew a quartermaster who told me "Trust me. You DON'T want to know what is stored there."

Damyankee
Regular

Post by Damyankee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Yeah, what the quartermaster said. When the supervisor took me into that one building we stayed less than 10 minutes so he could check some things. There were barrels prominently labeled, and he said the labels were accurate. I was glad to get out of there.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Howard wrote: And there was a POW camp in Fort Wayne during the War, but it was located at the corner of Oxford St. and Wayne Trace where the Navistar Reliability Center and the Verizon buildings now are. Some of the old buildings from WWII were still there into the 1970s.
It was called Camp Scott, and I spent a few miserable months wading through snow to do a topographical survey of the site where the city built a stormwater detention/treatment facility. After the snow melted, I (and the crew) ran across several old concrete building foundations and watercourses. It's a surprisingly large area and it's not flat either. Best of all it adjoins Piqua Yard on the north side.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:51 am

Damyankee wrote: I once went into a building with a supervisor who took me only because no one was allowed in the building alone. I can't say what was in there.

awe c'mon!! we're all friends here. You can say now, after all these years.

Was it bigger than a breadbox? 8)