Camera Advice

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Camera Advice

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:22 am

I just got a killer deal on a camera, so I bought it ! its a Sony DSLR-A100k
with everything including a 8 gig CF card. the lens that comes with it is a
18-70mm which I really don't know what that is in optical zoom i'm quessing 3X.
So here is my question, I was thinking about a 24-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens
what is that comparable to in optical zoom numbers ? is this overkill or under kill, I love zooming on speeding trains and trying to get a shot at 300 yards +/-.

My first idea was to get a Canon or Nikon but this deal came along and this is where Im at today.
I will say the Sony is much faster than my Nikon but my Nikon was not a real camera it is a Coolpix 8700 but takes a ratherr good pic, just realy SLOW and when something is coming at you at 60mph slow is not a good thing !
The Sony says 3 shots per second which makes me :D :D 10.2 megapixels 100-1600 iso

I would welcome any advice the snow is falling and the trains are running and there are pictures to be taken I just need a lens.

I attached a pic, I think this is Redkey ? is this track still in and is it used I would have loved to shot a locomotive in this shot, but I didn't.

Mike

m.p. 126 Wabash 4th District
Attachments
101-0129_IMG.JPG
Taken 2002
101-0129_IMG.JPG (716.92 KiB) Viewed 5751 times

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 am

I haven't made the digital jump yet, so it might not be totally applicable, but I wouldn't be without my 70-300 lens to compliment my standard 35-80 lens for my 35mm. That gives me the ability to reach out deep into a yard, or way down a line to get shots that would otherwise not be practical. In an era of trying to stay "Legal" and not go where you shouldn't go, the long lens often lets me stay on public property and still gets my shots. Just some food for thought.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm

You don't say how fast (f#) your 18-70 is. Either way, you'll have a lot of overlap between lenses, meaning the new lens is only good for 70-105. That's not even 1x. I would look for a 70-210 or more lens with as low an f number as you can afford. That you'll be able to cover more ground without moving in and out to frame the scene.

You asked about the location and yes that's Redkey, looking eastward. The marathon station in on SR1. The track is former NKP operated (and owned?) by R J Corman from Redkey to Portland and points east.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 pm

I found a Sony 75-300mm f 4.5-5.6 for $ 210.00
I thought that sounded reasonable, I looking for
funtional more so than price so what is your take
on the 75-300mm, would you have any idea what
this would be equal to optically ?

Mike

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:19 pm

What was the reason for the abandoment of this line ?
I have been miffed by this, I understand excess capacity
but it was if one day they just pulled the plug !
Usually when you see a line shuttered it is neglected
for years beforehand.
Years ago I took some pictures of the structures used
for the code line buildings and noticed what would appear
to be a telephone. my question is who was on the other
end of these phones ?
Why wasn't this track ever lifted on the unused section ?
I noticed a couple year a so ago that NS was storing well
cars up to Hale IN or the State Line.
Does NS retain ownership or does the Asociation out of Lima
OH own the OH portion. Is this the line that was severed
recently ?

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:16 am

NS owns the railroad to the state line. There's a derail in place at the state line and R. J. Corman doesn't ever (well, hardly) go west of Coldwater, Ohio. NS still goes to Portland, Indiana, with the locals that run east of Muncie, Mershberger Stone and I would assume the new ethanol plant at Portland is getting serviced now.

R. J. Corman has trackage rights from the state line to Portland but, to the best of my knowledge, has not exercised them for several years.

NS got rid of this line as excess capacity, selling part of it to R. J. Corman, and leasing the rest, between Lima and the border. Many wonder if any of the higher-ups regret it.

I would assume you are talking about a lineside phone, the dispatcher was on the other end and usually there were two lines, one for the dispatcher and the other being a message line. The message line used to be like a open party line to all the agencies and interlocking towers. There used to be phones like this at each end of every passing track.

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Poet Ethanol plant in Portland is pumping out loaded tanks next month and will keep business hopping. A new local is running starting Monday called the L80 to handle St Gobain, Poet, Meshberger, Anderson's and all the industries out there with the L83 relieving in the evening.

Too bad there's a 10mph slow order from SP156-SP136 in effect for the foreseeable future due to bad ties :(

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:24 pm

Hey Ed, we use to rumble through there at a good 40mph clip.
Hit my first Semi on that segment.

I actually took a High Wide special from Hales to Frankfort one day. They ran 2 HIWI's that week, I got both. Took the first from Hales to Frankfort, then later took the next from Hales to Muncie and the L86 took it across that night. It was right after the Conrail split and the first train had a junker Conrail GE as its sole power. Both trains had crews in a caboose that rode with it.

There was talk when I was working the Relief pool of Corman getting 2 trains a day from NS, both rack trains and would hand them over at Hales or St. Mary's depending on how it was going to work.

As for a derail, it must have been added here recently, because when I was that way last on a train, there wasn't a derail to be found.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Holy moly...40mph? Them rails out there rock and roll you to death now!! The Portland passing track is in absolutely terrible shape. If there's an area derailment to happen soon, my bet is in the pass there. It's good for only 3-5 mph now. Sure hope no loaded ethanol cars touch those rails.

Interchange with Corman, especially rack trains, would have been neat to see. Ahhh the good old days :D Hi and wides are far and few between nowadays seems like.

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 pm

When did the High Widelas go through ? and anyone know
when this line was shuttered, and why ?

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 pm

It was scuttled by a few things.
I won't go into the why's and how's but it was interesting to say the least. It had to do with moving trains via Fort Wayne, and the short pool that existed between Lima and Bellevue. The final nail was the code line failure, and the ice storm between Muncie and Frankfort.

Yes, 40mph, and I worked with a few guys that ran 60mph through there.
The siding at Portland has always been BAD since I worked out there. There is a section that is sinking and nothing being done to fix it, just past the west end. Best one, we got 2 GE widenose jobbies and took them to get a 50 car grain train that Corman left for us. We ran to the other end, stuck the EOT on it, ran back and while running back through the siding it felt like the engines were going to go over. Wasn't a fun feeling and we were crawling. We decided to shove the train out the east end and go from there, rather then chancing a derailment. That was in 96' I believe.

Hey, thanks to me a JLS, the track at Meshberger was rebuilt!

The High Wide movements happened off and on from 96' to 99'. The last that I spoke of above happened in the summer of 99'.
I know the old hogger on the L83 (Big Ed knows him) laughed about a high demension load he took through Redkey that took out their cable TV for the town. Finally the town wised up and moved the cable higher and now I believe they buried the line.

I also recall the warm summer nights working the L83 waiting for the Conrail job to bring us the 50 loads of grain. Best one of all, they called a L99 one evening to gather the 50 loads in the siding and wait for the Conrail crew to bring the other 50 from Dunkirk. We waited and Conrail shoved them on top, we pulled it around, hung the EOT, air tested and ran. That was the longest train I had seen on that line. After Corman stopped interchanging with the NS at Portland, they started sending cars to the Portland siding to hold them. Happened a few times, especially when Ayers would get full.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:04 pm

CIOR

When I came home from the Tri State Engine Show in 2006 the derail was locked on the rail at the state line (Hale).

JW

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:04 am

If they ran through Red Key 60, they were about 25 MPH over. West end was always known for all the ordinance restrictions, starting at St. Mary's, Celina, Coldwater, Portland (S curve as much as anything), Red Key, Albany, Muncie, Alex, Elwood, Tipton, and even Kempton. Never heard anyone say they ran through Red Key 60 but I know that interlocking gave a few guys a thrill at one time or another.

Ibflattop
Veteran

Post by Ibflattop » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:06 am

Running on NS always gave everyone a thrill didnt it Matt?????? Kevin
Move west!!!!!!!
"Slack on the Pin!!!!!!"
"CIOR Engineer "takin up both mains and a siding" and not called E.O.T., called " Running on Markers" !!!!!!!!!!!

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:38 am

Where did I say they ran through Redkey at 60mph?????? I said they ran 60 on that segment, which would be Portland to Redkey.

Actually Wayne, it was alway 20mph, not 25 through the town....
I guess since you worked that line you ought to know that. wouldn't you?
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com