Ft Wayne Bass & Hadley Roundabout

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Ft Wayne Bass & Hadley Roundabout

Post by cjberndt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:13 am

This is looking west across the new roundabout at Bass & Hadley Rds. in Ft. Wayne. CSX/CF&E apparently don't intend to replace the second main here.

Note that the crossing gate arms are very long. Cars can't run around them.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W Bass & Hadley roundabout look west 03-20-19.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Ft Wayne Bass & Hadley Roundabout

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:00 pm

If there was ever a solution looking for a problem to solve, that project was it. What a colossal waste of time and money, and the that entire project, all the way back to the rebuilding of the I69 bridge could not POSSIBLY been more poorly executed.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 am

Be almost comical to present a proposal that the railroad intends adding the 2nd main later this year.. And yes someone spent a lot of unnecessary taxpayer money.. Many people despise roundabouts.. Other than taking up more land there a great traffic control improvement..

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 am

We could get far better results in traffic control and energy savings by PROPERLY programming traffic lights than we will EVER get from roundabouts, but my two primary complaints have little to do with the roundabouts themselves. First, this project has done next to nothing to actually INCREASE that section of road's ability to handle more traffic (which if not now will soon be BADLY needed, AND that it was done with seemingly no regard whatsoever to the people that actually need to use that road. The attitude seems to be that "We're going to close this road as long as we feel like, and if it messes up your life, too blanking bad". The simple fact that they rebuilt the I69 bridge and made room for the trail to cross it but NOT enough to expand the bridge to four lanes was just absurd. Down in Texas, they build six lane roads into empty corn fields to prepare for coming growth. Around here, we allow whole neighborhoods to be built up right on top of cowpath roads, and then twenty years later we attempt some half assed band-aid fix to alleviate the problem. Look at Dupont Road east of I69. That project SHOULD have been completed 20 (or more) years ago, but we are always locking the gate AFTER the cows have gotten out. Covington Road is a hodgepodge mess of poorly added turn lanes splicing sections of far too narrow road, but the opportunity to actually do what SHOULD have been done sailed about 30 years ago.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 am
First, this project has done next to nothing to actually INCREASE that section of road's ability to handle more traffic (which if not now will soon be BADLY needed, AND that it was done with seemingly no regard whatsoever to the people that actually need to use that road. The attitude seems to be that "We're going to close this road as long as we feel like, and if it messes up your life, too blanking bad"
But was it "catalytic and transformative"? :mrgreen:

Brought to you by the same guys who expect you to just dump your wallet into the pockets of the Electric works developers, and gladly pay for site remediation on the old Omni Source yard, just so some well-connected buffoon can open up god only knows what self-serving private enterprise.

But hey, remember how wrong all the naysayers were about Parkview field, so we are not entitled to question any of it. :roll:

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:29 pm

If the cheese heads running the show can spend your money now, to create the opportunity to collect even more property taxes at a future date...that seems to clear all the hurdles for a "win-win",....for them, anyway. :shock:

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 am

Maybe they will put in some benches and a $300,000 statue, and designate the Hadley roundabout as a "railfan park".
Considering the train count that goes through there, that seems so "Fort Wayne"

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 am

Hotbox wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 am
Maybe they will put in some benches and a $300,000 statue, and designate the Hadley roundabout as a "railfan park".
Considering the train count that goes through there, that seems so "Fort Wayne"
A statue of maybe Harry Baals ?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah, that might work. But I was thinking more about something that accurately captured the administrations sentiment to the city as a whole, and not just towards the well monied upper crust. You know....something that gives the common folk a sense of connection.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:34 am

Just to be clear, I have NO ISSUE with money being spent to improve Bass Road. That area is growing quickly and the upgrades NEED to be done, but as is so often the case, I don't think we got very much bang for our buck. After all of that work, and an inexcusable amount of time to do it, we still basically have a two lane road. This project should have been geared around first expanding Bass from Hilligas to Thomas, then Thomas to Flaugh, and Then Flaugh to Hadley. Eventually, Bass will need to be upgraded at least as far as Scott Road, and eventually all the way to County Line.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:34 am
. After all of that work, and an inexcusable amount of time to do it,
Quick question......I didn't follow that project at all, but assuming you have familiarity, would you say the work elapsed in "spurts"?
Specifically, did you notice a flurry of activity the first couple weeks of each month, followed by zilch the remainder of the month.....for months on end?
I've noticed that pattern on a number of recent projects.....they'll have the thoroughfare snarled long-term but with work at a complete standstill for weeks at a time. Rinse, lather, repeat...etc.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm

I haven't noticed that particular phenomenon myself, but I never cease to be amazed at the absolute GLACIAL pace of some of these projects. I know the last couple years rainy weather has hampered things, but I see an awful lot of of what looks to be poor planning and not enough manpower assigned to these projects, and ZERO sense of urgency. I not so fondly remember when Highway 14 was expanded between I69 and Scott Road several years ago, and how many days when there would not be ONE SINGLE PERSON person working ANYWHERE on the project. By contrast, look at how the railroads react when they have to replace a bridge or make some type of emergency repairs. It's amazing what happens when the company doing the work has a vested interest in getting the job done quickly. The national symbol for most of these road projects should be a giant billboard of two dogs getting romantic if you know what I mean.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 am

Bob Durnell wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm
I haven't noticed that particular phenomenon myself, but I never cease to be amazed at the absolute GLACIAL pace of some of these projects. I know the last couple years rainy weather has hampered things, but I see an awful lot of of what looks to be poor planning and not enough manpower assigned to these projects, and ZERO sense of urgency. I not so fondly remember when Highway 14 was expanded between I69 and Scott Road several years ago, and how many days when there would not be ONE SINGLE PERSON person working ANYWHERE on the project. By contrast, look at how the railroads react when they have to replace a bridge or make some type of emergency repairs. It's amazing what happens when the company doing the work has a vested interest in getting the job done quickly. The national symbol for most of these road projects should be a giant billboard of two dogs getting romantic if you know what I mean.
I suspect that the main difference is due to the way the projects are funded. I cannot prove this, but what I think is going on in these "snails pace" projects is that they are using street maintenance money to pay for what should be a capital improvement project. SO, they blow their wad each month, go as far as they can, and then wait for the next installment....Then periodically whine to the public that the maintenance fund is insufficient to fix potholes unless they get to levy a new tax. (sound familiar?)

I watched with great interest as the downtown work creeped along installing new pavement, new curbs, new sidewalks, new sodded parkstrips, new signalling....all around Mr Doden''s new neighborhood,....and noticed the one constant seemed to be the first of each calendar month throughout the entire project, start to finish.....Followed by the need for a new wheel tax. Things that make ya go "h'mmmmm?"

I guess that it beats having to actually justify these projects on their own merit, just sweep them under the carpet in the name of maintenance?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:00 pm
If there was ever a solution looking for a problem to solve, that project was it
Having a railroad grade crossing through an intersection seems like the sort of thing you would go out of your way to avoid, if at all possible. I guess for those who keep their heads where seldom shines the light of day, it seemed too good to pass up?

I notice that Google maps, at least the drawn maps, already show this configuration.

4Quad
Veteran

Post by 4Quad » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am

I'd love to see this in action as a train approaches, the gates lower, and roundabout traffic stops. But, I'm not going to wait all day for a train. I was hoping the County Highway Dept, Journal Gazette, WANE-TV, etc. would post a video, but nothing yet. Is there a more likely time than not to catch a train through there?