Brimfield Indiana on the LS&MS/NYC Waterlevel Route

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Brimfield Indiana on the LS&MS/NYC Waterlevel Route

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Did Brimfield Indiana have a depot ?

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: Brimfield Indiana on the LS&MS/NYC Waterlevel Route

Post by cjberndt » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Brimfield's depot was on the south side of the tracks.

LS&MS had a gravel pit northeast of the village, with a spur running north along the east side of the village, somewhere near the far end of the gondolas in the attached photo.

Craig
Attachments
Brimfield highway bridge lk E.jpg

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Do you know what year that was--about 1900 I'd guess. I'm surprised there was a bridge for that "highway".

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:45 pm

By seeing Brimfield today it's hard to imagine this scene ever existing.. 6 tracks wide ! Looks to be rather large facility.. Thanks so much for posting Craig.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:26 am

Howard wrote:Do you know what year that was--about 1900 I'd guess. I'm surprised there was a bridge for that "highway".

I wonder if that wasn't taken from a signal bridge and not a road bridge, but just a guess.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:30 am

cjberndt wrote:Brimfield's depot was on the south side of the tracks.

LS&MS had a gravel pit northeast of the village, with a spur running north along the east side of the village, somewhere near the far end of the gondolas in the attached photo.

Craig
I don't see any sign of the spur or the pit, unless it is one of the small ponds in that area.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm

In this photo the highway bridge is at right distant.

I don't know the date of the map showing the spur to the Brimfield gravel pit. It doesn't show the spur to LS&MS's gravel pit on the north side of Sylvan Lake, east of Rome City, which was on a 1904 list of side tracks.

The low-sided hoppers were common at LS&MS's gravel pits, and are in the photos of the pits at Pleasant Lake. Brimfield was busy serving the gravel pit, but probably not for long - the USGS topo maps don't show a hint of a gravel pit.

Craig
Attachments
Brimfield depot lk W-SW.jpg
Brimfield, looking west-southwest.
Map Brimfield NYC gravel pit.jpg
Brimfield, LS&MS Gravel Pit
Map Brimfield NYC gravel pit.jpg (201.71 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:48 am

Interesting. I scoured the overhead views and I can't find ANYTHING in that area that looks like a pit.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:48 am

Interesting. I scoured the overhead views and I can't find ANYTHING in that area that looks like a pit.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 am

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:36 am

Bob Durnell wrote:Interesting. I scoured the overhead views and I can't find ANYTHING in that area that looks like a pit.
They are not pits.. they did not go down they went across. I think the term is Bank Run, they went horizontal not vertical and if you were to drive around the area on Craig's map you would see this. Sylvan Lake just to the north was used as a pit as well and would not be the size that it is today if not for the railroad.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:27 pm

So basically they were just taking up gravel from near the surface?

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:So basically they were just taking up gravel from near the surface?
Yes because there are no deep pits in the area that we are discussing... The Wabash had a pit about 7 miles north of these pits..

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:52 am

Actually, the LS&MS pit at Sylvan Lake was on the north side and separate from the lake. The spur tracks are visible on the north side of Shore Dr. east of Shady Ln. It was a deep pit at the west end; at least 25 ft. below road level.

The pit spur ran north from the GR&I along the east end of Sylvan Lake, then west into the pit. You can see where the track crossed Twin Island Rd. a few hundred[attachment=0]Aerial Sylvan Lk feet north of the lake.

This pit was discussed elsewhere on this site.

Craig
Attachments
Aerial Sylvan Lk LS&MS Gravel Pits.jpg
LS&MS Pit north side Sylvan Lake
Map Sylvan Lake LS&MS Pit Spur.jpg
LS&MS Pit Spur

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Notch 8 wrote:
Bob Durnell wrote:So basically they were just taking up gravel from near the surface?
Yes because there are no deep pits in the area that we are discussing... The Wabash had a pit about 7 miles north of these pits..
I'm just surprised they could get any quantity of useful material WITHOUT digging a pit.