Proposal for new expressway

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Proposal for new expressway

Post by Hotbox » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Read some guy in the Sunday JG claiming that someone is actually exploring the construction of a new expressway to start at I-69 near Illinois rd and head generally eastward .. intersecting with Hilegas ( he called it "Huegenard") rd .crossing over Jefferson Blvd where the CF&E currently crosses, and then passing through the Slater Steel and General Electric properties to it's eventual terminus at Fairfield Avenue. Thus providing an express route from I-69 to Downtown.

My question is why? There have got to be better things to waste the taxpayers money on than providing a handful of Aboite lawyers with a shortcut to work? Think what that would do to the New Castle District traffic.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Proposal for new expressway

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:04 pm

As an Aboite Township resident who works in New Haven, I would certainly welcome a faster way to get across town, this the idea mentioned above is completely absurd. First, you would have to build a cloverleaf in an area that is already elevated to clear two railroad tracks, and that would be expensive. Next, you would have to bridge over tracks at least once if not twice to get to Hillegas, where you would have to construct an elevated intersection in a very narrow corridor. $$$$$ Next, you have to squeeze around the FWCS facility on Catalpa, and then what? Valbruna Steel is NOT going anywhere, so how do you get past that? Then likely another railroad bridge, $$$$ GE Taylor Street might be doable, since it's mostly empty now, but what about Essex? Not much room around there, plus a river bridge $$$$. Then, if part or most of GE Broadway gets redeveloped, you are going to have to go around it, which lands you at Fairfield, which is a highway to no place. Thanks to the continued strangling of traffic flow in downtown Fort Wayne by the elimination of traffic lanes and the closure of streets to build buildings, all the cars coming off this new road would look like the marching band led down the alley at the end of Animal House. This city could sorely use an east-west expressway of some sort, but that ship sailed DECADES ago, and now we are stuck with options that even if practical (this one isn't) would consume dollars the way 765 consumes coal and water. Another point is that due to extremely limited space, there would likely be no room for cloverleafs anywhere but at I-69, which means traffic lights, which means it would be only marginally faster than Jefferson BLVD. My advice: if possible, adjust your schedule to off peak commute times. I start work at 6:30 AM and can make it from Homestead Road to Meyer Road in about 22 minutes.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:15 am

Just curious if you have tried going south to I469 on your commute?

FYI
INDOT had a proposal for two 4-lane expressways through town N-S and E-W back in the late 40s, IIRC. Obviously it was never built.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Sadly, 469 is just too far south to do me any good. The running time wouldn't be too bad, but getting down to it and back up from it blows the whole deal. I actually have three approx 16x24 photos of the proposed downtown expressway. They àre real b&w photos with the new expressway " Photoshopped" for lack of better term onto the pictures. They are printed on paper and are mounted on boards that resemble drywall. I bought them at the antique event in McCulloch Park several years ago. I later found out there is at least a fourth picture when I moved some furniture for a lady and they had the same three I have, plus a fourth hanging in there house. If anybody wants to see them, I can try to photograph them and post them. They probably also exist somewhere else, maybe the library archives. The plan looks pretty good to me. It's a darn shame they didn't go through with it.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 pm

One thing I find particularly irritating is the endless and often conflicting pursuit of half-baked strategies that our fearless leaders set their targets on. I've been paying attention for a good long while, and perhaps that is exactly what makes us grumpy old men so grumpy to begin with? First it is determined that the solution to downtown congestion is to build bypasses, then after incidental business dries up and the downtown dies, endless follies are advanced to try and re-build interest back into the downtown, and now they want to bring an expressway back into downtown...which of course will bring with it ...congestion? The one thing which all these brainstorms seem to have in common, of course, is the requirement of massive taxpayer support. It is an endless loop of absurdity.

If all of these great ideas that we are continually volunteered to pay for are truly so great, they should be able to stand up for themselves. Why don't they let the people who intend to collect the rents and fees pay for their own lunacy up front?

BTW, the guy proposing this in the paper envisioned demolition of the GE campus just to make room for the expressway. And as you point out Superior Essex would be a serious fly in the ointment

Weren't we recently led by the nose into restoring two way traffic on Fairfield and Ewing streets, and the narrowing of Jefferson Blvd. downtown just because some consultant determined that express thru routes discouraged motorists from taking an interest in the neighborhoods they were speeding through? Obviously a better "solution" might be to restore Jefferson and Washington to two way streets? (sarcasm)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Mayor says Gotta spend that Legacy Money !

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Unfortunately, the concept of "transformational " appears to be subject to a wide range of interpretation that all too often includes some variant of transforming the money of the people into private "pork". On a lighter note, I've noticed bundles of ties have been set along the Huntington District on the west side, perhaps its time for a little track rehab?

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Somebody wrote a letter to the newspaper about an absurd highway proposal, and here in the Fort Wayne Railfan it was converted to a government proposal. I laughed when I read the newspaper article, and laughed even harder when I read the responses here!! Thank you!

Craig
Craig Berndt

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Never underestimate the potential of insider politics. Well funded insiders have a knack for cultivating influence. :mrgreen:

It wouldn't HAVE to be political except those crackpots always want to milk the same cow.
Last edited by Hotbox on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Why don't we just give the GE campus to Eric Doden? :twisted: He seems to transform everything given to him into opportunity, let him impress us. (sorry, now I'm done)