Remarkable reference

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Remarkable reference

Post by Hotbox » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:58 am

For the highway "rivet counters" among you, here is a pretty detailed reference to the highway systems in Indiana, most recently updated in 2016.
In the 1155 pages are listed all Federal Interstate, all US Routes, and all State highway routes inside the state of Indiana, listing the name of every road, railway, creek, or river that they cross, as well as the "milemarker" at which point the reference highway crosses it. Also listed are the INDOT identification number for all bridges either crossed over or under along the routes. I've found some interesting listings for claimed names of railroads crossed as well.

Okay, it's totally worthless,I'll admit.... but I still found it interesting in the painstaking detail that it includes.. For example, I never before realized that Hosler Road down in Wells county was at one time called "Old Fort Wayne Road" as it is referenced at milepost 291.946 along I-69.

If you like that sort of thing, I hope you enjoy.

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/INDOT%20 ... 202016.pdf

I find it interesting where it lists US 27s passage through fort wayne.....if ever anyone wanted the know EXACTLY how far it is between Rudisill blvd and Jefferson Blvd, this would be the place to come.

I do find it puzzling where they claim that IN 930 crosses over the Chicago Ft Wayne and Eastern RR between Meyer Rd and New Haven Ave, literally within feet of the NS

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Remarkable reference

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 pm

That's just another day in the office for me.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:10 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 pm
That's just another day in the office for me.
Well, I'll admit to being kinda voyeurish when it comes to this stuff. If I HAD to do it everyday then I'd likely be far less amused. :D

I suspect that some of my fascination stems from the revelations about things which I pass by every day, that I never bothered to notice before. And then there are the curios that seem....."improbable"?

One item that I'm still trying to figure out. If you go down by Muncie, that CSX bridge that crosses over I-69 lists the railroad as two tracks of CSX, but also lists "N&S railroad" for the same mile marker.

Now, everywhere else that I've looked, Norfolk Southern is listed as NS, so I'm relatively confident that they do not mean "Norfolk Southern".
But I'm left wondering what it is they do mean? (That's really not a north-south line, is it?)

Could there be some predecessor still listed in the land title? And if so...then what?
Last edited by Hotbox on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:30 pm

A similar reference is made where US 24 crosses over The NS main between Logansport and Peru

Last edited by Hotbox on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm

:mrgreen: I think they're referring to the union belt (not C.Ft.W.&E)-but it ain't there anymo....

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:37 pm

D.L. wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm
:mrgreen: I think they're referring to the union belt (not C.Ft.W.&E)-but it ain't there anymo....
Note that the following list progresses eastward from the top of the page. The shaded area is definitely east of Meyer Road.
(you can right-click on the picture and select "open in new tab" and a full sized image will appear)

The lines in question are listed as being .005 miles apart......which if my math is correct is just a tad over 26 feet.

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 pm

I think they've covered themselves for situations like those RRs with a line in red on page 3:

As this document is a human endeavor and humans make mistakes, please be aware that:
THERE ARE ERRORS, MISTAKES AND OMMISSIONS WITHIN THIS BOOK!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 am

I believe that you are probably right Howard. I just found a "comparable" document from 2004, which Mentions only "N&W RR" as a railroad at that location, but even more troubling cites "Conrail" as the railroad lying between the Maumee river and Washington Blvd

https://web.archive.org/web/20110615200 ... e_2004.pdf (note: this version is not journaled, and appears to have been printed on blank sheet paper with no page numbers, so it is a real bone-in-the-neck to sift through).

So, I guess the precaution one needs to abide by, you have to weigh the priorities of the people assembling the information before deciding which parts of it to rely upon. In so going, the highway people would likely not assign a critical priority to identifying the owner of every rail line.
And the standard disclaimers about workers in general, as well as government efficiency no doubt apply as well.

I'm sure that even the mighty I.C.C. officiated it's fare share of errors as well, only to use it's power to reign absolute. Particularly in context with assembling decades-old records upon the agency's initial start up. :mrgreen:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:53 pm

You mis-understand, I work with INDOT every other day, so this mind-numbing complexity seems normal to me.

Howard nailed it. As for the errors, I see them all the time. Some of it has to do with non-compliant paperwork to update information, like not filing the proper abandonment forms. Purchase agreements sometimes miss a section, etc.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:52 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:53 pm
. Some of it has to do with non-compliant paperwork to update information, like not filing the proper abandonment forms. Purchase agreements sometimes miss a section, etc.
It really wouldn't surprise me if some of the old transactions were intentionally opaque, to conceal "questionable" tactics. That really wouldn't apply to this thread's subject, just a general observation. :D

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm

It also seems a little odd that CF&E would be listed, since they don't even own any track where they do operate?