Bob's Fort Wayne area photo of the week

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Bob's Fort Wayne area photo of the week

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:09 am

Hotbox wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 pm

It's been forever since I nosed around overthere, but I seem to remember seeing (circa 2003) long-abandoned coaling facilities..which at the time I just assumed they were a relic of some old coal dealer. But you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to believe it was part of GE's physical plant.

The lines that crossed the St Mary's River do continue to the former GE Campus on Broadway & Taylor, the lines can be seen at the College St viaduct
Attachments
InkedScreenshot_20181224-083521 (1)_LI.jpg

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:20 am

Hearing the steam whistle at the Taylor street power plant is a fond memory of my childhood. Always knew when it was time to head home for lunch, etc.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Early in 1996, I came across a couple strings of obsolete Conrail rolling stock, most still with friction bearings occupying yard tracks at the east end of Piqua Yard near Meyer Road. I took a few pictures, including this one of an old NYC 2 bay covered hopper. Among the other cars were EL, PC and CR coal hoppers, a CR flat car and an NYC boxcar. Shortly thereafter, these cars disappeared. I assume they were headed for a scrapper somewhere, and today this area of the yard has been paired down to two tracks. I wish I had taken more pictures that day, but we were late for an anniversary party and I had pushed my luck, venturing closer to these cars than prudent, and decided it was time to move on.
Attachments
Scan0060.jpg
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Sometimes, I wish there was a "like" button here because that's a record of a artifact that is now long gone.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am

This picture from the mid 90's shows crews loading boiler equipment out of the former City Light plant onto waiting flat cars in the former FW&J yard across the street for shipment. I can't remember if this equipment was re-purposed or scrapped, but I assume if it was scrapped, they would have cut it up in place. It's a lousy picture taken on a lousy day, but it does document some unique history. Among the things now gone in this picture; The railroad tracks, the freight house to the left and Martin Inc.
Attachments
Scan0033.jpg
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:14 pm

I took this photo several years ago. It is on the old Phelps Dodge plant siding that comes up the hill from the NS Wabash main and crosses Meyer Road. This is the oldest piece of in use rail I have found in Allen County. While nobody has used this spur for revenue use for decades, Norfolk Southern likes to stash Mow equipment there to get it out of the way.
Attachments
Scan_Pic0124.jpg