Garrett Building Demolition

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Garrett Building Demolition

Postby cjberndt » Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 pm

CSX demolished the brick building near the police/fire station in Garrett. It's near the center of the Sept. 1962 aerial.

Other than the freight house and other structures that were relocated to the north side of the track, was this the last B&O building in Garrett?

Craig
Attachments
Garrett B&O Frt Hse Demo 05-22-16.jpg
Aerial Garrett Rndhse 09-62 lk E.jpg

Jeff Jones

Re: Garrett Building Demolition

Postby Jeff Jones » Tue May 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Great photo as always Craig!

I have a couple of questions ...

1. What is the time period of the photo?

2. What would the single track have been used for? I'm referring to the one that is directly east of the roundhouse, or just north of the current-day fire/police station. It looks like two passenger cars are stored there, and it looks like there are box cars further down that track on the other side of Randolph Street right up to the road.

3. What are the concrete remains in the weeds and brush just west of the fire/police station today? I drive past those every so often and was never sure what I am looking at. Was wondering if that was part of the roundhouse.

Thank you!

Jeff Jones

cjberndt
Veteran

Postby cjberndt » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:01 am

Jeff:

1. The aerial photo was Sept. 1962.

2. I don't know, but there are also cars on the east side of Randolph St., so possibly a car repair shop track.

3. The concrete ramp on the north side of Quincy St. west of the police/fire station may have served B&O's power house, but I'm not sure. I thought the power house was further west, but it may have been relocated.

Craig

Notch 8
Veteran

Postby Notch 8 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:20 am

When was the roundhouse torn down ?

wheeler
Veteran

Postby wheeler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 am

@ jeff jones. the concrete that you mentioned is the remains of the coal dock and ash pit. if you drive down the alley north of there, you can also see where the water pumps for the operation are still in the ground. (Basically rusty 8-10" pipe sticking out)

Return to “General Discussion”